• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Icons

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi. I have downloaded and modified Jforum 2.1.8 for our needs. I have resently started to modify the styling. We want to use a much darker color a lot of places, this again makes the icons look bad because they are optimized for much lighter background. This gives us a white glow around the icons.

I tought I would be able to just modify the gifs but that is not possible unless I take one picxel at a time (that won't happen). Therfore I wondered if it is possible to get my hands on the original jforum 2 psd maybe? :roll:

I found the gdk.psd for jforum3, but I have not checked weither the icons match one to one with what I need for jforum 2. That be the actual icon, but also the name. The jforum 2 psd would probably be the best option.
[originally posted on jforum.net by Ronny]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm afraid the originals are lost in the mists of time. Not sure, but they may have actually come over with the Mayflower... err.. from the phpBB skin that was used to create the first jforum skin.

I assume you've seen this thread? https://coderanch.com/t/577855 #18055

That said, it's not hard to redo the buttons and icons. Buttons are just a rounded rectangle with a little "glow" on the inside. All built on the same base. The mini icons in them are easily "magic wanded" to individual elements to reuses.

FYI - these are the 8 images in the individual language areas (down from a lot more which are now generated via css...). You'll have to redo for each language you want to support.

At first glance, there seems to be a lot of small icons in the main template images directory. But if you go thru it, you can drop all the emoticons. Plus a lot of them are the same icon's with different color emphasis. It takes time (I know I've done one), but it's not as long as you think.

Of course, a possible alternative is to look at phpBB skins for icon's that match your need and repurpose them for you're need. I even think the icon names are the same.
[originally posted on jforum.net by monroe]

Migrated From Jforum.net
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks for your answer. I think you do a teriffic job answering all the questions from all of us.

I did find the post you are refering to. The language was not easy to understand, but the images revealed them selfs I also found the gdk.psd inside the jforum 3 source. This last file fills some of the gap. As you also say, I will probably not take to much time creating new ones.

Anyway, I am on my way now
[originally posted on jforum.net by Ronny]

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic