• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

New-Bie Ruby on Rails Question.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,

First of all this is going to be an extreme basic question to most of you guys. So, I wanted to understand and learn RoR. Now, before I start going into that I understand that Ruby is a scripting language and Rails is a framework for Ruby. So, should I be learning Ruby seperately? I mean would Ruby on Rails' cover Ruby implicitly?. Please suggest.

Thanks,
Pavan.

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think most beginning Rails books cover the Ruby language as well. (You can check out some reviews in The Bunkhouse.) I think it might be worthwhile to spend a little time just getting to know the language though, before you start looking at the Rails and how to develop web apps. I worked through some of the Project Euler problems using Ruby, just working from online references. It's an interesting language, and if you're coming from a Java background as I was, you should definitely try to get comfortable with concepts like closures and lambda functions, duck typing, and bolt-ons. Have fun!

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I would highly recommend doing the Ruby Koans separately just to get acquainted with the language. It doesn't take very long, and is a lot of fun.

Ruby Koans

pie sneak
Mac VI Editor Ruby
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We threw together an online version of the Ruby Koans too for the especially lazy.

http://koans.heroku.com/

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic