• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

once again: classpath and ojdbc14.jar

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy folks,

I'm sure my question has been asked several times before, but I can't seem to find a fitting thread with the solution in this forum. Hope any of you has the patience to guide me through this.

I am "educating myself on technology", as it says on the respective IBM sites, so I downloaded a WebSphere Application Server v7 (base trial) and am experimenting with this now. I deployed a simple application which makes a connection to an Oracle Express DB (10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0) - that works, so I must have gotten something right. (Both the App-Server and the DB are running on localhost. For previous experiments I have changed Oracle's listener port to 1621 - in case anyone wonders.)

Now I am trying to test the oracle-connection with a stand-alone java-program I found on the net and I can't get the thing to acknowledge the driver: Where does this ojdbc14.jar go ???

Here's the program:

Thats my classpath:

And here is all the places where I dropped the driver:

The prog compiles alright, but when executed stops at line 15, even when I add the current directory to the classpath-option via

I keep getting "Exception: oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver" from the prog. I'm sure this is just some minor fault but I am absolutely stuck. Any help much appreciated, thanks in advance

Dirk

Marshal
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser MySQL Database
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

"home/dirk/myscripts/java/oracle_tests/ojdbc14.jar"

That path is a relative path, which means it's relative to your current working directory. So if your current working directory was (say) "/users/dirk", that path would represent

"/users/dirk/home/dirk/myscripts/java/oracle_tests/ojdbc14.jar"

But that wasn't what you said you meant. You said you meant

"/home/dirk/myscripts/java/oracle_tests/ojdbc14.jar"

So use that absolute path instead of the relative path which isn't right.

Dirk Huth
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Paul,

first of all - thanks for the quick reply! Unfortunately that didn't help. I'm on Ubuntu, so there is no directory /users/... There's just /home/... and e.g. /home/dirk

Anyway, it doesn't work.

Neither

javac -cp "/usr/lib/oracle/xe/app/oracle/product/10.2.0/server/lib/ojdbc14.jar" OracleConnectionUrl.java

nor

javac -cp "/home/dirk/myscripts/java/oracle_tests/ojdbc.jar

Both get the same "Exception: oracle.jdbc.OracleDriver". So now I wonder is this the correct driver for Oracle Express DB (10g Express Edition Release 10.2.0.1.0)? (I guess it must be, because that's the driver I installed into the app-server and there it works.) Or am I using the "wrong" jdk? I have openjdk-6-jdk?

Hope we can finagle this out, best greetings,

Dirk

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well for one thing, classpath aside, your code as shown will not get a Connection except on the first shot. If the first try throws an Exception all the other attempts to get the Connection will not be tried.

Ranch Hand
Oracle Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Unless you're using specific objects from the Oracle driver, you don't need to include the Oracle driver to compile your code. Also, have you tried Class.forName("oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver"); instead?

Dirk Huth
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
@Bill: Yeah, but it's just a simple test. Since it is so basic it is supposed to work for all attempts without catching an exception.

@Koen: Yes I have - just now. The only thing that changes is the error-message:
Exception: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver

Also: compiling without explicitly invoking the path to the driver produces the same error.

I'm sure it's just a simple oversight somewhere but I can't get at it.

Koen Aerts
Ranch Hand
Oracle Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Provide a copy of the EXACT javac and java commands you're running, the paths from which you're running it, the resulting stacktrace/error message and the source of the java file you're trying to compile/run.

Dirk Huth
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Koen,

I'm afraid I don't quite see where you're getting at: The complete code is in my first post, as well as the javac-command I used. Below a copy of the things I'm trying, this time with the directory paths:

dirk@dirk-portable:~/myscripts/java/oracle_tests$ ls
HelloWorldApp.class HelloWorldApp.java ojdbc14.jar OracleConnectionUrl.class OracleConnectionUrl.java
dirk@dirk-portable:~/myscripts/java/oracle_tests$ javac -cp "/home/dirk/myscripts/java/oracle_tests/ojdbc14.jar" OracleConnectionUrl.java
dirk@dirk-portable:~/myscripts/java/oracle_tests$ java OracleConnectionUrl
Exception: oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver
dirk@dirk-portable:~/myscripts/java/oracle_tests$

The Oracle-DB is running, I'm on a Linux VM (Ubuntu, lucid), I use openjdk 6, I changed the driver-definition both in the import statement and in the Class.forName statement according to your suggestion to oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver.

Have you any suggestions as to what kind of trace I could try?

Thanks,

Dirk

Dirk Huth
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi all,

it works now - although I'm not sure why. (As I said: absolute newbie.)

First I included the directory once more in the cp-argument:

(I saw that when working with a mySQL-example. I don't understand why this is necessary, though.)

got an error with the driver import so I commented it out

when I finally got to the "driver loaded ok" message I finagled it out with the help of google that the connection-string must include "user" and "password" as well, like

Best greetings,
Dirk

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic