• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

gwt and struts

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hi

is there any utility to use struts with gwt?

i beginned a project with gwt and my team leader want to add struts 2 to the project...

we don't have any struts 2 code....

so i don't see the utility to use struts 2 with the projet...

can you give me good reason to use struts 2 with gwt?

thanks

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That would seem an odd design decision. There's not a lot of overlap in GWT and Struts
GWT wraps the whole ajax dhtml-><-javascript-><-web service conversation in a Java object model. It's pretty self-contained.
Struts is a front-controller and framework for imposing an MVC view on JSP's and servlets. Though there's some ajax functionality available, it's more of a helper functionality for web forms than core competency (Struts tends to defer to third party libraries for non-core stuff, like dojo, hibernate, Spring (for IOC) and so on).
The question I'd ask is: Is there something that GWT doesn't have that Struts would provide?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That sounds like a really dumb idea. Show him this thread and tell him to pick one or the other.

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Kenny Johnson:
That sounds like a really dumb idea.

Easy there, Kenny. We don't know exactly what the idea is so it's a little early to pass judgement.
I'm sure there are applications where part in GWT (complex user interface) and part in Swing (customizing documents) would make sense. It really depends on what Mark's team leader has in mind.

mark smith
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
we would like to use struts action we have done for other project...

i tried struts2gwt plugin without success... if somebody have a example to use struts 2 with gwt... i would like to see it

Joe Ess
Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't seen much GWT traffic here. You may be better off searching or posting in the GWT newsgroup, since those folks will have more experience with GWT.
Pure speculation: Since Struts Actions are supposed to be very simple affairs which just connect business logic objects together, and GWT's server side is pretty much the same thing for AJAX, it should be a simple affair for them both to use the same back end business logic and persistence layers.
I have no idea how you'd use the Struts front-end controller, which is what it sounds like you want to do.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic