• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Finding JDK for Mac OS X (Lion)

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a Macbook Pro and I made the mistake of installing Lion!!!(Apples version of Vista)
Anyway I have been using Eclipse, mySQL, and Glassfish as a learning environment to learn Java Web development.
However LION wiped out my JDK. And I an having a very difficult time finding and installing the a new JDK.

Please I have registered with the FRUIT as a developer but I still cannot find the JDK. I have found navigating Apples
development site about as good as MIcrosoft docs in the 90's(Useless). I know I can set up a VM and install windows
to bipass,

I would be most grateful if a Mac user can help me get my environment back. A link to a JDK that I can install and Eclipse will accept!!!

Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The first result I got for download apple java lion had a download link.

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

J Voor wrote:I have a Macbook Pro and I made the mistake of installing Lion!!!(Apples version of Vista)

Oh please. All you do is to reduce your credibility posting tripe like this.

Anyway I have been using Eclipse, mySQL, and Glassfish as a learning environment to learn Java Web development.
However LION wiped out my JDK. And I an having a very difficult time finding and installing the a new JDK.

For me, and everyone else I know, the first time I fired up a Java program, it asked if I want red to load Java. The only change is that it's not installed at the outset anymore. Let's face it, most people don't need it.

If you are going to continue to seek help here, a little less histrionics will fare better.

J Voor
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I apologize, I am however very frustrated. I may be an incredible newb, but keeping a working Java environment available, has been difficult to maintain.
The first link seems to be the SDK. I have been looking for the JDK, which I believe is a subset of the SDK?
I will try to keep my frustration to myself and just ask relevant questions?

Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
JDK = Java SDK. Install it, and you'll be good to go.

J Voor
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have downloaded the above DMG from the link above. When I got to SYSTEM/library/Java/javavirtualmachines/ I see a JDK 1.6.0.JDK. In the past I believe the JDK was a folder that had a bin I pointed Eclipse to. I do not see that folder

Tim Moores
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, the internal structure of the JDK changed at some point, but I'm sure recent versions of Eclipse know how to deal with that. Are you experiencing an actual problem when trying to use Eclipse?

J Voor
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thankyou for your help, it is much appreciated

This is the version of Eclipse I am using

Eclipse Java EE IDE for Web Developers.
Version: Helios Service Release 2
Build id: 20110301-1815

I am going into preferences /java/install JRE and trying to add trying to point it at new .jdk extentsion. In the past this was a folder I pointed and the JDK/bin
AlsoI believe Eclipse has moved on to Indigo. Would this version understand the new .JDK extention?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X Eclipse IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you click on the "Search" button in "Install JRE", Eclipse will find all installed Java versions on your Mac.

If you want to add the path to Java your self - then you can open a Terminal and navigate to the Java version of choice, where you then can copy the whole path to Ecipse. The new .jdk is just a packed folder, which you in e.g. Finder can right click on, and then choose "Show Package Contents" to see the Contents, and here you'll have the same folder structure as before.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic