• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

OCJP 7 requisite

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi!

I browsed the Oracle website and left there a bit confused. This question might be really stupid, but please clarify:

I have read that you now - concerning version 7 - need the OCJA exam to be eligible to take the OCJP exam. I have the OCJA 6 certification - is this enough to ign up for the OCJP 7.0 exam or do I have to upgrade first?

Thanks in advance,
Jan Eckert

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
you need to have ocja 7 certification or any of the programmer certification scjp/ocpjp as a pre requisite to ocpjp 7 certification exam

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:you need to have ocja 7 certification or any of the programmer certification scjp/ocpjp as a pre requisite to ocpjp 7 certification exam

But if you take the SCJP6 certification now, it's useless in regards to taking OCJP7? You can only upgrade if your 6 certification was up to a certain date?...

gurpeet singh
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jack Moore Iii wrote:

gurpeet singh wrote:you need to have ocja 7 certification or any of the programmer certification scjp/ocpjp as a pre requisite to ocpjp 7 certification exam

But if you take the SCJP6 certification now, it's useless in regards to taking OCJP7? You can only upgrade if your 6 certification was up to a certain date?...

when did that happen ? are you sure about that

gurpeet singh
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jack Moore Iii wrote:

i just checked oracle site and there is no information regarding this. specifically i checked the path for ocpjp 7 upgrade exam and it is written there you can have any prior oracle or sun programmer certification.

I would like you to quote your sources regarding your information. and please before posting such information be sure about it because many people can get confused.

Jack Moore Iii
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:

Jack Moore Iii wrote:

i just checked oracle site and there is no information regarding this. specifically i checked the path for ocpjp 7 upgrade exam and it is written there you can have any prior oracle or sun programmer certification.

I would like you to quote your sources regarding your information. and please before posting such information be sure about it because many people can get confused.

https://coderanch.com/t/570025/java-programmer-SCJP/certification/Java-candidates-OCA-OCP

"If you're pursuing the OCP for Java 7 certification, and if you're not already certified, you now have to pass your OCA exam before you can attempt the OCP exam."

I'm not already certified, so to me this means OCA is the only path to OCP and anything other than 7 is now useless for upgrading. I would make the same request to people who have the authority to make the stick posts to be more clear if this is not the case...

gurpeet singh
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
To be ocpjp 7 certified , you need to have ocaj 7 certification or any of the previous programmer certification. Hope you are now clear on it

Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Notepad Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:
when did that happen ? are you sure about that

Jack Moore Iii
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:To be ocpjp 7 certified , you need to have ocaj 7 certification or any of the previous programmer certification. Hope you are now clear on it

I'm clear now, they are basically making it so you can't skip a step or a price tag no matter your actual skill level. Anyway, at least if it's possible to upgrade from any previous version there's not too much harm in version 7 study guides or mock tests not being available for a while...

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:To be ocpjp 7 certified , you need to have ocaj 7 certification or any of the previous programmer certification. Hope you are now clear on it

Just so I am clear, having OCJA 6 does not count ?

"The Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer requires only a single exam to become certified, and is required prior to achieving the designation of Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer, which requires one additional exam"

gurpeet singh
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Harinder Hanjan wrote:

Just so I am clear, having OCJA 6 does not count ?

"The Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer requires only a single exam to become certified, and is required prior to achieving the designation of Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer, which requires one additional exam"

Yes you are right OCJA 6 does not count. either OCJA 7 or any previous scjp/ocpjp certification.

Hinda Hanjan
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:Yes you are right OCJA 6 does not count. either OCJA 7 or any previous scjp/ocpjp certification.

Well then that was $300+ down the drain. If I knew this before, I would have done OCJA 7 instead. I guess I now need to upgrade to Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer first before attempting Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Gurpeet,

You also gave the OCJP 6 exam I guess.

and also only for Oracle Certified Professional, Java SE 7 Programmer exam you need OCJA 7. With OCJP 6 you can still go for web component developer, web services exams. You can even give the architect exam having done OCJP 6

I did not get why people saying the money gone in drain!!!.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello

if someone have ocjp6 certified than he will not eligible for ocjp7 upgrade?

Please clear me

gurpeet singh
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
who said that with ocpjp 6 i cannot give upgrade to ocpjp 7 ?

people here are creating alot of confusions and chaos. i think everybody has power of internet and it takes only few steps to check it out from oracle site. Rohit the prerequisite for ocpjp 7 is that either you have ocaj 7 certification or you have any previous scjp/ocpjp certification. i just checked it from the oracle site to be very clear. i think now it is clear to everybody.

Rohit please verify your facts before posting. already lots of people have got confused.

Rohit Raghunath
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:who said that with ocpjp 6 i cannot give upgrade to ocpjp 7 ?

people here are creating alot of confusions and chaos. i think everybody has power of internet and it takes only few steps to check it out from oracle site. Rohit the prerequisite for ocpjp 7 is that either you have ocaj 7 certification or you have any previous scjp/ocpjp certification. i just checked it from the oracle site to be very clear. i think now it is clear to everybody.

Rohit please verify your facts before posting. already lots of people have got confused.

i checked this link........link

here there is only mention of Java SE 7. That is why I thought one should be Oracle Certified Associate, Java SE 7 Programmer before taking the Java SE 7 Programmer II exam..

apologies if I am wrong.....not intending to spread romours.... please correct me if I am wrong

gurpeet singh
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Fedora Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
the link you gave is not working. and that link i suppose refers to oracle certification programs. i also checked from there only. it is clearly written underneath pre-requisite that for ocpjp 7 you need to either have ocaj 7 or scjp/ocpjp certification. so that means ocpjp 6 or for that matter 5 or 4 are also qualified to give the ocpjp 7 exams.

I repeat for ocpjp 7 you need to either have ocaj 7 or scjp/ocpjp certification. so that means ocpjp 6 or for that matter 5 or 4 are also qualified to give the ocpjp 7 exams.

saloni jhanwar
Ranch Hand
Firefox Browser Notepad Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:the link you gave is not working. and that link i suppose refers to oracle certification programs. i also checked from there only. it is clearly written underneath pre-requisite that for ocpjp 7 you need to either have ocaj 7 or scjp/ocpjp certification. so that means ocpjp 6 or for that matter 5 or 4 are also qualified to give the ocpjp 7 exams.

I repeat for ocpjp 7 you need to either have ocaj 7 or scjp/ocpjp certification. so that means ocpjp 6 or for that matter 5 or 4 are also qualified to give the ocpjp 7 exams.

Hinda Hanjan
Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

gurpeet singh wrote:I repeat for ocpjp 7 you need to either have ocaj 7 or scjp/ocpjp certification. so that means ocpjp 6 or for that matter 5 or 4 are also qualified to give the ocpjp 7 exams.

Yep, to make that official, this link is pretty clear. Note that there are two tabs 'Get Certified' and 'Upgrade AExisting Certification'. The upgrade section clearly states
STEP 1 - PRIOR CERTIFICATION
Any version Oracle Certified Professional, Java Programmer OR Any version Sun Certified Java Programmer

STEP 2 - PASS THIS EXAM
1Z0-805 Upgrade to Java SE 7 Programmer

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic