• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

IntelliJ Ultimate Edition - Maven Issue in Mac OS

Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Guys,

I don't know if this problem with IntelliJ Ultimate edition is only in the Mac OSX? I created a new tomcat configuration. Under this tomcat configuration, there is an option called "Before Launch" where I can specify a maven goal before tomcat starts. But when I click the option next to "Run Maven Goal", it should show the list of goals. But I do not see any thing. The window opens empty. Anyone having any idea as to why idea (IntelliJ) behaves so badly here? I'm fed up with getting tomcat + maven + spring project up and running in eclipse. So I wanted to give IntelliJ a try. Actually using IntelliJ should have been simple. But it is turning out to be a nightmare and especially with my Mac Book Pro.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Well, one of the advantages of using a commercial product like IntelliJ is that the vendor (hopefully!) provides support.

However, I doubt very much that any IDE is going to offer you a popup that shows possible Maven goals. Maven 1 did that, but Maven 2 cannot.

Unless I am very much mistaken, you can demand just about any goal you can hallucinate and Maven will attempt to download and execute a plugin to make it happen if it can. So the list of goals is effectively open-ended and thus cannot be enumerated.

It is both a strength and a weakness, as far as I am concerned, since it makes Maven operate by "magic", and I don't like magic when it comes to doing work. But it is nevertheless convenient.

Joe San
Ranch Hand
Mac PPC Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
The dialog shows Run Maven Goal. Well, if they do not list the goals, then there should be a provision for me to enter the goals that I want to run. But all what I get is a blank popup with Ok and Cancel buttons.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In the case of Eclipse, there would have been a textbox in that dialog. But in Eclipse, the maven and ant builds are actually just special cases of the general run/debug function.

From the sound of it, I suspect that the choice of goal is something that gets set somewhere else in IntelliJ and this particular dialog is just yes/no for whether to run it. In the worst case, IntelliJ may have chosen a goal for you.

IntelliJ tends to focus more on day-to-day application development and it does that quite well, but is less good at specialized requirements. Eclipse didn't offer me as many amenities as far as things like designing and debugging UI stuff, but since my needs include things like running a webapp feeding an RMI server or running and debugging 2 webapps at the same time, Eclipse was the better fit for me. To each his/her own.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic