• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Selecting copy sections on iPad

Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Sometimes when I select text, the iPad decides I want to select an entire section of a document, and it can make it difficult to shrink the the selection box down to just select the word(s) I actually want to copy. When I drag a side of the selection box inwards, it often just pops back into place after I release it. Sometimes one side will stay in place, then I can move the others, but other times I can't shrink the selection box at all, and I just have to retry the selection or give up and us my organic cache memory (which becomes less reliable with each passing day) and my fingers (which thankfully are still holding up pretty well). Are there any tricks for selecting words when the iPad prefers sections?

Ranch Hand
Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Chrome
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I generally don't have this problem. I also usually double tap on the first word I want to highlight in the selection and then use the drag points to get everything I need. Does it happen in some applications more than another?

Greg Charles
Sheriff
Mac IntelliJ IDE Python VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
My impression is that it happens more in web pages, but I spent yesterday playing around with it, and seemed to get most in e-books, particularly in iBooks. I figured it would be a common problem, but since it's not, I'll try to find an easy-to-duplicate example.

Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal! And this tiny ad too!
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic