• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

will the Job profile Java Application support upgrade my knowledge and provide me more opportunities

Ranch Hand
Java Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
will the Job profile Java Application support upgrade my knowledge and provide me more opportunities

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Vishal Hegde wrote:will the Job profile Java Application support upgrade my knowledge and provide me more opportunities

Well, it depends. In some organizations, support means simply handling requests - ranging from configuration issues, to some frequent (and sometimes trivial issues).
In some organizations, support means to fix the bug - in which case, an employee who does 'support' may get lot of opportunities to interact with code, and also build a solid technical knowledge.
In some organizations, writing a new code is called as development, designing a new application is called as design, and everything else comes under support.

But ultimately, it totally depends on how keen someone is to learn new things on his/her own. Once somebody has good technical knowledge, job title doesn't matter too much.

I hope this helps.

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It depends on a number of factors

-- How mission critical are the tasks you are performing?
-- How much value are you adding to the business and organization?
-- What sought-after skills are you acquiring to market yourself?
-- How well do you communicate and market your accomplishments?

My advise is don't rely only on the job experience alone. Quality professionals are self-taught and they acquire experience, skills, and knowledge from outside work -- self taught projects, open source contribution, etc. If you are working in support, look for opportunities to work in hands-on development and design.

All depends on you.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic