• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

how to automate a manual process?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
i have a question,
Generally in our company, we write code and submit that to our project branch first and than our main branch.
so to submit that code on main branch we need to do lots of task manually, like: when we submit that code on our project branch, we got that that submission listed on our submission portal,
than to submit code from their to main, we need to copy all the files names from there, and paste all them on textpad, one by one and than copy the story numbers and paste tham again and again and also the chances of mistakes are very high
and than again i need to post them in our new submission, so basically the entire process is very time consuming, so can anyone tell me how can i automate it?
please let me know, if anything is not understandable.

Bartender
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:so can anyone tell me how can i automate it?

Don't know about automation, but there are certainly several products out there for managing changes. Just two are: Subversion and CVS - both, I think, still open source and free.

I would definitely advise against coming up with your own "automation" solution:
1. You're re-inventing the wheel.
2. The entire project could become Kleenex-ware if your company decides to adopt anything like the products I mentioned above.

Winston

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Subversion is recommended.
It provides a lot of flexibility and definitely free...

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No Actually we are using clearcase, but to submit from project branch to main branch, if suppose there is 1000 submissions, i need to copy the clearcase location of those files one by one from the page where they are showing now.
so i want to write some code, which will take those column data and story from that page, and append that to one text file?

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:No Actually we are using clearcase, but to submit from project branch to main branch, if suppose there is 1000 submissions, i need to copy the clearcase location of those files one by one from the page where they are showing now.
so i want to write some code, which will take those column data and story from that page, and append that to one text file?

Seems to me that this is a question for a ClearCase forum.

I repeat: I would definitely NOT write your own code.
If this is a real problem for you, bring it up with your management and explain it to them, making sure you throw in phrases like "error-prone" and "redundancy" a LOT.
Unless they're complete morons, chances are that they'll listen and do something about it. If they don't, maybe it's time to find another job....

Winston

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have never used clearcase, but googled for more information. Your last comment is also not clear - are you 'merging' your branch to the main branch ?
Also, you could use git to manage your code - by employing a git bridge over clearcase.
If the process is apparently clear, then implementation wouldn't be much of a problem

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Winston Gutkowski wrote:
If this is a real problem for you, bring it up with your management and explain it to them, making sure you throw in phrases like "error-prone" and "redundancy" a LOT.

but they want me to do this.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sumit Bisht wrote:
are you 'merging' your branch to the main branch.

Yes

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:but they want me to do this.

Then before you write a line of code, check out what you want to do with a ClearCase forum. If you've paid for the product then I'd also check with their Tech. Support; they may be able to advise you on how to proceed. It's an IBM product, and it seems highly doubtful that they haven't been asked the question before.

Winston

Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't even know where to start with this but what you have described is an absolute mess. Why any team would allow developers to change 100s, let alone 1000s, of source files before trying to merge them back in to the main line of development is beyond me. That's just insane. To ignore that problem and try to put a band-aid fix by trying to automate the process that you described will do next to nothing, if anything, and IMO is going to be a huge waste of time and effort. I've seen this before. The approach on my teams: establish a good Continuous Integration practice. Commit, merge, and integrate "often", which means at least ONCE A DAY. If your team won't do this, then I doubt you'll see any real benefit in automating a broken and onerous process. Good luck.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Junilu Lacar wrote:I don't even know where to start with this but what you have described is an absolute mess. Why any team would allow developers to change 100s, let alone 1000s, of source files before trying to merge them back in to the main line of development is beyond me. That's just insane. To ignore that problem and try to put a band-aid fix by trying to automate the process that you described will do next to nothing, if anything, and IMO is going to be a huge waste of time and effort. I've seen this before. The approach on my teams: establish a good Continuous Integration practice. Commit, merge, and integrate "often", which means at least ONCE A DAY. If your team won't do this, then I doubt you'll see any real benefit in automating a broken and onerous process. Good luck.

ohk so i can also use jenkins to automate it?

Junilu Lacar
Sheriff
Mac Android IntelliJ IDE Eclipse IDE Spring Debian Java Ubuntu Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Jenkins is a Continuous Integration server, yes, but it's not going to solve your problems either. Your problem goes a lot deeper than technology.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually the first problem which i am facing is, how do i fetch those source files locations from the webpage?
if i would be able to fetch values of that column only which has those files location, i will save them to a text file, so it will reduce lot of work.

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:Actually the first problem which i am facing is, how do i fetch those source files locations from the webpage?
if i would be able to fetch values of that column only which has those files location, i will save them to a text file, so it will reduce lot of work.

Actually, I think the main problem is that you're not listening to the advice you're being given, and appear only to want to program your way out of the mess you're in.

I've already given you my suggestions; Junilu's given you his. Whether or not you take them is up to you.

Winston

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:

Winston Gutkowski wrote:

but they want me to do this.

Ask them for a dedicated resource to do merges

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Question too difficult for “beginning”. Moving discussion.

Punit Jain
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
okay, let me talk to my team if we have any technical support from IBM.

Winston Gutkowski
Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Punit Jain wrote:okay, let me talk to my team if we have any technical support from IBM.

Definitely a good start. If they (or a ClearCase forum) can't help you, then you might want to think about code; but as Junilu said, I think the problems run deeper than simple "automation". Far better to come up with a comprehensive solution than a "one-hit wonder".

Winston
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic