• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java and OO Fundamentals course - Knowledgeblackbelt

Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I'm recently studying the "Java and OO Fundamentals" course on knowledgeblackbelt.com, and aiming for the workshop and test on it later, as a preparation for OCAJP 7

I was wondering if there's anyone here of experience who can tell me if it helped him to go on with the course, workshop on that website or not, I would really appreciate it

Author
Objective C Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not familiar with the course on knowledgeblackbelt.com, but I can say a strong understanding of object orientated principles and the Java language will make you feel much more comfortable while taking the exam. Our OCA book covers allot of these topic, Rob and myself feel they are very important to understand to have success on the exam.

Kareem Al-Nassag
Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I've already checked the sample from your book, looks interesting, will give it a further look later, but it looks so promising so far.

the interesting thing about the knowledgeblackbelt though are the exercises provided and the projects available in the workshop, are these available with your book as well?

Edward Finegan
Author
Objective C Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We provide some basic exercises, but they are intended to be small and quick. Our book is intended to be a one stop source for the material that will be on the exam. We expect the reader to have a basic background of java already, and use our book to refresh and sharpen their skill on topics they will find on the exam. I hope that helps to clarify things.

Kareem Al-Nassag
Greenhorn
Netbeans IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
it sure does clarify, what I got is that your book is more like a reference for students other than being a step by step course for people who want to "Start" studying.

Thanks for your time

Ranch Hand
Scala Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Edward Finegan wrote:Rob and myself feel they are very important to understand to have success on the exam.

Just thought I'd ask about it - I understand you sat the exam already. What was your score? What did you find the most challenging topic in the exam?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jacek Laskowski wrote:

Edward Finegan wrote:Rob and myself feel they are very important to understand to have success on the exam.

Just thought I'd ask about it - I understand you sat the exam already. What was your score? What did you find the most challenging topic in the exam?

The delivery of the questions was the most challenging. This exam is now in the flavor of the legacy SCJP exam, not the legacy SCJA or the OCA 5/6 exam. That is, for many of the coding questions, you also need to be on the lookout for compiler and runtime issues.

Good luck on the exam,
-- Robert

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Kareem Al-Nassag wrote:I'm recently studying the "Java and OO Fundamentals" course on knowledgeblackbelt.com, and aiming for the workshop and test on it later, as a preparation for OCAJP 7

I was wondering if there's anyone here of experience who can tell me if it helped him to go on with the course, workshop on that website or not, I would really appreciate it

Hi Kareem

The Java & OO Fundamentals on KBB is in fact a good source to learn the basic of Java and OO concepts.

The new OCA-JP7 is a subset of the old SCJP. If you noticed on KBB, besides the Java & OO Fundamentals course, there are intermediate and advanced courses. The OCP-JP level corresponds to the materials including the advanced course on KBB.

For JP exam, learning by doing is the best way; understanding why such and such produce compiler or runtime errors or why the output is not what you expect, etc.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I thought the exam was pretty fair overall. It didn't go out of its way to hide the compiler errors from you, didn't offer any syntax errors (at least not intentional ones - I caught a couple of typos in the beta, but that's what a beta's for) and generally wanted to know if you knew the answer to the question. There were some tricky questions - mostly in the flavor of "I never thought to do something like this before. I would never do this in a production environment, but is it legal Java?"

You need to know your basics and know them well. You have to think for every question and figure out the answer based on what you know.

There's a thread about (beta) exam experiences here - note that the number of questions/time limit in this linked thread is NOT applicable for the exam (the beta had more questions); you should go look up the real values on Oracle's website or elsewhere on this forum.

incandescent light gives off an efficient form of heat. You must be THIS smart to ride this ride. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic