• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

It works, but why?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello coders,

I have this code right there(the language is Brazilian Portuguese):

Without the line resultados.next(), the console floods with exceptions...but why does the ResultSet needs it to work? Or is it the .executeQuery() method?
I'm still pretty green in Java, so I apologize if my question sounds lazy or stupid.

Thanks for any help!
Cheers!

Bartender
Android Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE Spring Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't see anything JPA related in your code snippet. I will edit your subject to remove the reference to JPA and move this topic to the JDBC forum for you. Welcome to the Ranch!

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From the JavaDoc for ResultSet [emphasis mine]:

A ResultSet object maintains a cursor pointing to its current row of data. Initially the cursor is positioned before the first row. The next method moves the cursor to the next row, and because it returns false when there are no more rows in the ResultSet object, it can be used in a while loop to iterate through the result set.

The ResultSet looks row by row at the data, and reads from the current row. Immediately after you query the db, your ResultSet doesn't have a current row yet, so you need to tell it to "get the next row for me please". If there are no rows, next() will return false and you can avoid any annoying "is this set empty" checking, or exception catching. This is convenient because results from a database are normally processed all at once in a loop.

The official JavaDoc is good documentation, and so useful that every time I type a Java class such as ResultSet, the forum admins have made it automatically link to the JavaDoc. Try it. It's awesome.

Welcome to the ranch!

Cesar Sportore
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks a bunch Bill and Tina!
I'll be checking it out next time!

Cheers!

No matter how many women are assigned to the project, a pregnancy takes nine months. Much longer than this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic