• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Factors causing resistance for Migration from Struts 1.0 to Struts 2.0 Framework

Greenhorn
jQuery Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Hi ,

I am posting this topic to get some feedback from people who worked under the scenario of migrating the application from 1.0 version to 2.0 version of struts.Just wanted to know what are the difficulties/problems faced both technologically and personally. I am actually doing a small analysis/project/thesis on the factors that causes resistance among the developers for the migration of technology that too specifically for the Struts java framework.

Need all your valuable inputs on this. Please help me out by giving your legible inputs.

Thanks
Rajesh

Bartender
Mac OS X Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't seen developers resisting moving from Struts 1 to another framework. Struts 2 fixes some huge problems with Struts 1 and makes a developer's job a lot easier. If anything, the problem moving from Struts 1 is a financial problem. We have so much code in Struts 1, we can't afford to replace the whole code base. All of our new projects are using Struts 2 and developers hate to go back to the old projects.

Rajesh Vijayakumar
Greenhorn
jQuery Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
First i would like to thank you for your response. Apart from the financial problem , what may be the other problems that will hinder/stop people moving the entire code base from struts 1 to struts 2.Please enlighten me few factors in detail.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rajesh,
Before doing any migration, not just this one,any - one would think of what is being achieved after migration. Why to migrate a stable application unless there is a necessity to do so. Hope you have done all this stuff already and very much clear with your necessity and entered into technical challenges.

Actually there shouldn't be any challenges - its Java [its always the estimation which creates mess rather than the technology & design]
Few things to think about- is what your action classes have in them - does it have business logic/does you JSP's have business logic? Is it a well structured/designed project and is the development as per design? What are the exceptions in following the design - are the first steps think about. Upto what extent are you going to migrate your application [all the features?] is the next thing

Next would be what are custom frameworks you have in the application and where do they fit in the changed framework. Say for example, since it is about struts - security framework/mechanism exception handling, servlet filters are the few things which commonly are close to your action classes along with the form beans...

All the above is just how I go about before thinking of migration but it is not the same for all. The best way is to migrate one medium-complex flow in your application and see how it works and what it takes to achieve it.

After all, while migrating if there are any difficulties - it is just Java, we can do whatever we want, Struts is just a little drop in it. We do have this wonderful place 'JavaRanch'

Rajesh Vijayakumar
Greenhorn
jQuery Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Shankar.

I have not actually worked on Struts 1.x Framework. I have been working in Struts 2.x framework only. This analysis i am doing for a MBA project. So i want to collect some data , so that i can do some analysis on the data and come to an conclusion of what are factors which are significant for causing resistance if at all it exists.

Ideally i want some inputs from person who does not have exposure to Struts 2.x framework but has been asked to do development on it.What you will feel initially if you have been asked to do migration from Struts 1.x under the assumption that you do not have exposure to latest framework(Struts 2.x). I need inputs under this scenario.

Shankar Tanikella
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Rajesh,

Its Master of Business Application?

If it is so, why would you need what details of resistance struts migration would have. With my little knowledge & experience - Sorry for irrelevant comments on it but if you are looking in a Management perspective [for a case study, may be]- a elegant manager never needs to know about the technology. For a manager [who would have already got the budget and estimates -normally not in his hands] its all about planning of deadlines/milestones and resource utilization and resource fitment/allocation and nothing else. - however, forget this.

Coming back to the technology I do not see any thing that would slow me down [-I never worked on Struts 2]. Its all about the volume of work and extinct of migration.

When we talk about it
After initial configuration [afterwards its just building blocks]
How many flows do the application have that i need to migrate
Am I going to remove the Form culture and use simple DTO? If yes how many of them are available? How many JSP's are being effected?
Am i going to use the old struts stags or use something new? if yes what is volume?
How many filters do I have? Should i make all of them as interceptors, if possible and applicable?
-validation framework and tiles are more or less the same so no change..

There is simply no challenge, except for volume. I do not know how different is struts 2 file upload from 1.x. In general whatever it is, higher versions would be more easier to live with than the earlier ones

Anyways,

Rajesh Vijayakumar
Greenhorn
jQuery Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Actually Shankar, i am looking into the case study from the developers perspective not from Manager's Perspective. Leave about the technology factors, what are other general factors like Individual Factors(mind set , attitude , willingness),Organizational factors etc .I want some inputs on that perspective.If i get comments and inputs on that front it would be very useful for my case study. I hope you will understand what inputs and data i require for the case study analysis.

Rajesh Vijayakumar
Greenhorn
jQuery Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Need More Inputs on the factors from the developer perspective. It would be very helpful for my data collection and analysis for the Case Study.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic