• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question regarding javaeetutorial.pdf -- about .xhtml and .java files

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am working through the Java EE Tutorial document javaeetutorial.pdf, and have a question regarding one of their simpler EE Project.
This is my first post to JavaRanch, so I am not positive on the etiquette. I will post the question, and the associated code.

The Java managed bean is quite simple, and the xhtml files are simple too. But, I am confused with the Expression Language found in the xhtml files. It says #{hello.name}.
Is Expression Language not case sensitive?
How does it interface with the attribute "name" when name is "private"?
Lastly, I am to assume one xhtml file is setting the attribute name, and the other is getting it. But, the Expression Language is the same #{hello.name}. How does that work?

Thanks so much for any help!

Bartender
Netbeans IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Moxy,
Welcome to the Ranch

Expression language is indeed case-sensitive. The reason 'hello' works is: for any managed bean, a 'name' is generated. This name follows the regular JavaBean convention.
i.e the first letter of the class name is changed to lower case and the rest remains as it is - for example, if the Java class name was HelloBean, the EL would refer it as helloBean. Imagine creating an instance of the Java class. You would typically declare with a variable like:

The same convention is used here.
For properties, when EL refers, hello.name, behind the scenes it calls the getter method - in this case getName(). In the second .xhtml file, you are making a call just directly in the html, so, it needs to first get the value which it does by calling the getName() method.

Your question about how it identifies when to call the getter and setter is a good one actually. The .xhtml are facelets which is the view technology for JSF pages. JSF has phases and there is a phase called Update Model Values and so, during this phase the setter methods are used to move the value from the html form to the JavaBean property. In the Render Response phase, JSF has to display the html, so, it calls the getters during this phase.

Arie Morgenstern
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ranganathan,

Thanks for the welcome. I don't have someone around me to ask (at times) boneheaded questions, so I hope the Ranch gives me the space for it. Unfortunately, I am too green to contribute back at this time.

So, it is convention, a pre-agreed upon format if you will, that takes the Class Hello, and converts it into 'hello' in Expression Language. I would assume then, that if I deviated from Java's convention and called the class 'hello' instead of 'Hello', EL would get lost?
Second followup, you say EL takes 'hello.name' and uses the getter and setter. So, it has nothing to do with the Java attribute being declared private or public? But, may I assume then that if I deviated from Java's convention, and called the getter method getTheName, then EL would be lost?

If my assumptions are correct, then I find this quite interesting. The whole technology of JavaBeans/JSF Pages, etc., is based on Java syntax conventions that are not enforced by the compiler. Is that accurate?

I thank you for your discussion on the phases, I have allot of reading to do in that area yet.
What I was wondering though, was if both EL expressions are #{hello.name}, how does it know to use the getter in one instance and a setter in the other instance. It makes perfect sense to me, but what in the code tells the ... the ... server, I guess ... to use the getter vs. the setter?

Thank you very much,

Moxy

Ranganathan Kaliyur Mannar
Bartender
Netbeans IDE Java Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Moxy Fruvous wrote:I don't have someone around me to ask (at times) boneheaded questions, so I hope the Ranch gives me the space for it.

Sure, that is what the ranch is meant for.

Moxy Fruvous wrote:Unfortunately, I am too green to contribute back at this time.

Not a problem. We have all been green at some point of time.

Moxy Fruvous wrote:So, it is convention, a pre-agreed upon format if you will, that takes the Class Hello, and converts it into 'hello' in Expression Language.

Yes, but note that, like I pointed out earlier, an instance of the class Hello is created. The name of the instance is, by convention, 'hello' and that is used. So, it is like you are using an instance of the class Hello in another place (like we do typically between pure Java classes)

Moxy Fruvous wrote:I would assume then, that if I deviated from Java's convention and called the class 'hello' instead of 'Hello', EL would get lost?

Correct. However, if someone insists on using a different name, that can be done as:

You can then use this 'Hello' within your EL. But, that would be poor convention and also misleading/confusing.

Moxy Fruvous wrote:Second followup, you say EL takes 'hello.name' and uses the getter and setter. So, it has nothing to do with the Java attribute being declared private or public? But, may I assume then that if I deviated from Java's convention, and called the getter method getTheName, then EL would be lost?

Correct. The EL would be lost.

Moxy Fruvous wrote:The whole technology of JavaBeans/JSF Pages, etc., is based on Java syntax conventions that are not enforced by the compiler. Is that accurate?

Correct. You would get an error at runtime if what the EL refers to is not valid. However, some IDEs provide support in the editor by marking wrong expressions in the jsf page with a red line or so (like in a word processor). So, good tooling support can help you detect this problem at development time.

Moxy Fruvous wrote:What I was wondering though, was if both EL expressions are #{hello.name}, how does it know to use the getter in one instance and a setter in the other instance. It makes perfect sense to me, but what in the code tells the ... the ... server, I guess ... to use the getter vs. the setter?

Yes, like I mentioned earlier, the 'phase' would help the server to decide that.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic