• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What is OOP and which concepts are a core part of OOP ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am not sure I know what is the essence of OOP and what is not. Is it essentially just this - being able to represent everything as fields and methods, ie encapsulation ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming Wikipedia says that OOP is also about polymorphism, Inheritance etc. But, are those things the essence of OOP or peripheral features ?

Java Cowboy
Android Scala IntelliJ IDE Spring Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The essence is really that you model concepts with objects. Whether specific features such as classes, inheritance and polymorphism are "fundamental" or "peripheral" features is really a theoretical discussion and for many features there isn't even a clearly correct answer, it depends on opinion.

Most current popular OO programming languages support classes, inheritance, polymorphism and other features that are commonly thought of as principal OO features, but not all of them do; JavaScript for example doesn't have classes, but it's still considered an OO language by many people.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic