• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

iOS/iPhone and Android scene in China and India ?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Is there much demand for Android and iOS/iPhone phones and apps in India and China ? Is it booming like the US or is it still in a nascent state ?
I suspect that Android might have an upper hand because it can be found on phones that suit different budgets, which is a must in price sensitive developing nations.
Moreover, it does not confine you into the iWorld. You can use your Android phone on any PC or Mac.

Bartender
IntelliJ IDE Python Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andy Jack wrote:Is there much demand for Android and iOS/iPhone phones and apps in India and China ? Is it booming like the US or is it still in a nascent state ?
I suspect that Android might have an upper hand because it can be found on phones that suit different budgets, which is a must in price sensitive developing nations.
Moreover, it does not confine you into the iWorld. You can use your Android phone on any PC or Mac.

The stats are all out there if you are willing to search. But smartphone use is going up at huge rates in both countries - moreso in China than in India. In China the leading OS is Android in the last year or two (Nokia before that), with iOS well below (but growing). Don't know the specifics in India but would expect either Android, Nokia, or a local derivative to be the smartphone leader.

But I don't see where PC/Mac comes in to play between iPhone and Android. You can use the iPhone with iTunes on a PC - and you rarely ever have to connect either device to a computer ever. The only Mac/iPhone tie-in is in developing iPhone apps, but most smartphone users are not application developers.

Rancher
Mac OS X VI Editor Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Android smartphone usage is exploding in China. Most of the sales are of local brands, selling at very low prices. See:

http://www.techinasia.com/domestic-chinese-smartphones-attract-praise-profits/

I don't know how the "for profit" portion of the market is for apps. I'm sure that a bit of googling will give you articles on that.

Andy Jack
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anyone from China or India ? Your information is welcome too.

Ranch Hand
Python Ruby Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
It is pretty much the same scene in India as it is in China.
One such information is this:
http://www.tech-thoughts.net/2012/12/smartphone-market-share-trends-by-country.html#.UNxFEKyN3lc
Apart from the lack of apple store, import duty increases the prices of apple devices, making them insanely expensive.

Andy Jack
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
additional stuff
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/infographic-2012-internet-mobile-trends/

Ranch Hand
Android Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
from 2009 i am using c5212.
I get opportunity to become Android smart phone owner, but each app in android drain memory/battery by location tracking/advertisements shown in screens bottom or up side,
In India almost 90% people use android smart phone for listen music, see movies, & FB/twitter or other social networking websites.
I think very few use it by actual beneficiary apps or develop own apps.
In trend of smart phone it lost main thought that contact from anywhere to people whom contact also placed anywhere...(in this statement i not want to argue about social networking website because in India most of people sharing actually copy-pasting posts which i think time wasting).

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic