• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Anyone else affected by Atlassian's recent changes to OnDemand JIRA/Confluence hosting?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
My company uses Atlassian's OnDemand hosting for their JIRA and Confluence (Wiki) products. Recently they changed their pricing (along with, admittedly, some details of their hosting that provide us with no benefits), and now our monthly bill works out to be more than 50% higher for the same number of users. It would be 100% higher if we'd opted to keep the GreenHopper agile tool which was previously included in the mix, but which we dropped when notified of the pricing change. According to Atlassian's customer service, 90% of their customers love the new pricing (presumably because they pay less), but I'm having a hard time seeing us being so special as to fall into the remaining 10%. Has anyone else been affected by this change? What have your experiences with Atlassian's customer service been?

The sole reason we're seeing such a higher bill is that -with about 120 users- we need to opt into the 500 users tier instead of the 100 users tier that also exists. According to Atlassian's customer service, no additional tiers in between will be implemented anytime soon, certainly not "unless there is a business case for it". Given this attitude, there will likely never be a business case for this, as customers in a similar position to us will likely opt for competing products.

I'd love to hear your comments or similar stories and experiences.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I wasn't aware of the price change because we host our own JIRA. I love Atlassian, but, bracketed pricing schemes piss me off. Why can;t they use a progressive scheme? Basically, first 100 users pay $A, then 100-500 users pay $b per user; 500-1000 users pay $c per user and so on. They can still make the same amount of money without screwing with the client that has 101 users. Practically, the way they have it now, the clients at the bottom range of the bracket are subsidizing the clients at the top range of the bracket, which makes no sense

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic