• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

i have a mainframe question

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hey guys i have been enjoying the ranch much in the past few months..now i have joined a company and mainframe has been allotted as my stream...i will start training soon..my dream job was to develop cool web apps using java or c#...but java was not allotted to me..now guys please guide me on this...is mainframe a good career path? how tough is it compared to java? i know its not practical to compare the two..but how is the coding part in both fields...i mean the toughness? some people say mainframe is a hot skill but some say its outdated...is the coding like assembly? i really loved java and jee coding...is there any chance that i will find mainframes as enjoyable as that? and mainframe programming how is the coding..is it like assembly or will i gt a chance to do any high level programming? kindly give your comments

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello, mainframes in fact is a niche skill set, just like AS/400 (which I had experience with). Mainframe programming is COBOL if I recall correctly. I don't know COBOL so I can't compare with Java.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

K. Tsang wrote: . . . Mainframe programming is COBOL if I recall correctly. . . .

I think that is a bit of an exaggeration! I am sure lots of other languages are used on mainframes.

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Did you tried talking to your HR about this? Perhaps you can convince them to put you in Java.

Also note that now a days, everyone's dream is Java. So you'll end up like 100000+1th Java developer. On the other side, if you're in mainframes you may be 100+1th mainframe developer. Think about it. Having rare skill always pays good in long term than having a skill where thousands of developers are competing in market.

Good luck!

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic