• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

How to get a good job in IT?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can any folks answer it?

Rancher
  • Likes 2
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
For starters, being good at it, and having a good work attitude, helps.

author
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Certainly being "good" - which I would equate with strong business knowledge, great problem-solving skills, excellent technology skills, and a positive and proactive attitude.

But then, perhaps the more important question is what is a "good job?"

Your definition might differ (will differ) from mine and from the guy next to you. What factors constitute the job of your dreams?

An exercise I do almost every year is to write down a narrative of my "Ideal Working Day." I start from the moment I wake up until my working day is done.

Some rules:

It must be realistic. You cannot simply state.. I win the lottery and sit on the beach sunning myself.

It must be a full-day. By full-day, I mean 6+ hours long.

Include the interaction you have with others.. what are you doing? What are they like? Where do you work? What is your commute? What do you do for lunch?

By doing this and knowing what I really want, it helps me assess opportunities.. Does this opportunity get me closer to my ideal working day?

lowercase baba
Chrome Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I had this discussion with someone in another thread here...he was debating between two companies. One would have him travel a lot, probably to foreign countries. One was local.

To me, the idea of travelling sounds terrible. Leaving my home, wife and daughter sounds like the worst possible job I could have. Bringing them to a foreign land also sounds equally terrible. Having a job 8 miles from my house is almost my idea of perfection.

But I believe he was right out of college. He didn't have a wife or a home. The idea of travel sounded awesome to him.

I'm saying this to reinforce what Matthew has said. Before you can get a "good job in IT", you have to know what you think a "good job" is.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic