• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

ServerSocket - requests are duplicated

Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Howdy!

I have the following piece of code:

I am connected to the router and I have external IP. I have set port forwarding for 8080 port.

When someone performs GET request from the browser with my IP address:
A.B.C.D:8080

I see:

JavaRanch Rocks!
JavaRanch Rocks!

or even:
JavaRanch Rocks!
JavaRanch Rocks!
JavaRanch Rocks!

but there was only one singular hit.

What can be the root cause of such behaviour?

Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Lucas,

Yes, it is an interesting issue. I'm not much into sockets and all, but out of curiosity, I tried to run the code and faced the same issue.

And I would really like to know why this happens

Meanwhile, I tried to put a counter as part of message (and the counter is increased during each iteration), and below is what I got:

1) When I run the code on a new port (e.g. 5555), then for first time, I get this message 3 times. The last counter on console is 3, however, the counter on browser (which we write via PrintWriter) is 1.

2) If I refresh browser page (i.e. send request again), then counter is 4 on both - console and browser. After this, it remains in sync (on console and browser).

3) I checked after inserting print statements and found that the loop is actually executing multiple times. The only reason I can think of is due to the way browser sends the request, accept method is being invoked more than once (but then, I'm still not sure why we do not get last counter's value '3' on browser).

4) Once those counter values are in sync (i.e. after first refresh), this problem never occurs with that particular port (I also tried restarting the program, in which case, the values were in sync right from counter = 1). To reproduce the problem on the same port, I had to restart the machine.

I hope someone knowledgeable in this might find above analysis helpful.

Bartender
Android IntelliJ IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

but there was only one singular hit.

You're assuming that a single high-level browser activity results in a single connection to your socket. I would say the fact that you're seeing the output multiple times is evidence that that assumption is incorrect. Java code doesn't just execute on its own for no reason. Maybe the browser retries since it didn't get a valid HTTP response. Maybe there's something else unexpected going on in the browser. Whatever the case, if you're seeing that output 3 times, there are definitely 3 connections being made.

Anayonkar Shivalkar
Bartender
Eclipse IDE Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I totally agree.

However, I'm still not getting why there's inconsistency in browser and console data during first request.

When I tried to add counter's value to the message, browser displayed the value as 1 (which means that browser was able to establish the connection in first attempt, and also read the response). So, why there were extra attempts for connection?

Also, for same socket, why this behaviour never happens again (unless I bounce the machine)?

Surprisingly, it works totally fine when I connect to ServerSocket via other Java code instead of browser.

Lucas Smith
Ranch Hand
Android Eclipse IDE Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I believe that Firefox uses some optimisations, e.g. connection redundancy in case of the connection loss.

But how did the elephant get like that? What did you do? I think all we can do now is read this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic