• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

WebSockets

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Scott Mattocks
Publisher   : Developer.Press
Category   : Web design, HTML and JavaScript
Review by : Mohamed Sanaulla
Rating        : 5 horseshoes

This book is a very short one with around 18 pages of real content. It immediately starts with the history of Web/HTTP and then somehow manages to introduce the concept of WebSockets and its importance. I dont think the history was necessary. Author could have started from Ajax and then introduced Comet and then WebSockets.

And in the introduction chapter there is an example of Pirates which made me a bit confused about my understanding of the WebSockets. In all the introduction occupies close to 50% of the book.

Then when it comes to the real content- there's nothing much useful. In no way I could run those examples without the Server running. And there was no mention of how to go about creating the server for trying out the example code given.

This book on WebScokets is not worth buying because one can find lot of better articles for free on the web. I would not recommend this for buying.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic