• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Dynamic class loading

Ranch Hand
Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I have a factory method, that returns concrete Factories. These factories create Products.
I want to put factory method to separate jar, so it won't depend on concrete factories.
To instantiate concrete Factory I pass prefix (like "First", "Second"), by this prefix I want to load class ("FirstFactory") from different jar, then create Product from it.
Will it work in my case and will it load all dependent classes for concrete factory? Maybe there is a better approach.

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What are you trying to achieve by separating the code into individual jar files?

surlac surlacovich
Ranch Hand
Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Ability to support additional Product without modifying jar with Factory.
So I just add new jar to the classpath, supply Factory with argument "NewProduct" it instantiates a new Concrete Factory from new jar and creates new type of Product.

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There are several ways of doing this, each one has it's complications and pitfalls. There is a lot more to this that you have to think through. THe whole idea of "being able to deploy a new product by just dropping a jar" is an awesome awesome idea, but it's much more complicated than it ooks at first glance

a) You can use reflection to load the concrete class

you need to define an interfac which is the contract between your main code and the deployed jar. The jar contains a concrete implementation. The class name of the concrete class is in a configuration file somewhere. You can use reflection to load the class, instantiate the object, and use it via the interface

This is simple enough. The problem is that what happens when the jar that contains the concrete implementation needs other jar files (like hibernate.. or capache commons etc). You need to put those dependency jar files in your classpath soemwhow. SO, you have to figure out to deploy a package of jar files into your application, not just one jar file. Also, what happens if this jar needs other jars that are not compatible with the jars you have already deployed. Let's say you are using Hibernate 4, and it needs Hibernate 3. You have entered another dimension, a dimension not just of class loading and garbage collection, a journey into a bug infested land whose boundaries are only limited by how late you can work. That's the signpost up ahead - Welcome to JAR Hell When the same class file appears twice in the classpath, the JVM doesn't guarantee which one it will load. So, it might start loading Hibernate 3 classes, and your whole thing will go to shit. Worse yet, it might load some version 4 classes and some version 3 classes for the same library. You will pull your hair out when that happens

b) Use custom classloader
You could isolate the classes that you load for the "drop-in" jar using your own custom classloader. This will solve JAR hell.. somewhat..but this is a little difficult to implement. You still have the problem of deploying apackage of jars

c) OSGi
OSGi provides a lot of services that allow you to do this. But, it's a bigger learning curve.

Ulf Dittmer
Rancher
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, this sounds like a typical use case for OSGi. Containers like Apache Karaf try to make it easy, but as Jayesh said, there's a non-trivial learning curve involved.

surlac surlacovich
Ranch Hand
Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:
a) You can use reflection to load the concrete class

you need to define an interfac which is the contract between your main code and the deployed jar. The jar contains a concrete implementation. The class name of the concrete class is in a configuration file somewhere. You can use reflection to load the class, instantiate the object, and use it via the interface
c) OSGi
OSGi provides a lot of services that allow you to do this. But, it's a bigger learning curve.

Thanks a lot, Jayesh! I use 1'st approach and load with reflection right now, and it works quite well. But I'm moving towards OSGi, because it looks like I can create OSGI-related code without intervention to application code in the jar, and gain all benefits of OSGi, but it's really a lot of thinks to learn. As you mentioned the configuration file should be located somewhere, right now I put in the same Factory method jar as properties file, but if I will add new concrete factory with a new jar I will need to modify this properties file in Factory method jar, which is not very convenient.
Where can I store these config files if I use OSGi? I've heard it is possible to define <key,value> pairs in console (Equinox, Felix), but not sure how.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic