• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

spring constructor autowiring

Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
if there are multiple constructors in a bean and more than one qualify for autowiring, is Spring at liberty to pick one of them or should it throw an exception?

ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Please explain further with examples. Nevermind.

Are you creating the class with multiple constructors? My question would be why have multiple constructors. Why not have one constructor that takes only the mandatory parameters, and those parameters that are optional use setter methods?

A parameter to a constructor really says that that parameter is mandatory for the object, if it is not set, then the object won't work.

Mark

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hmm ... am not sure but more than one constructor qualifying for autowiring is rather unusual actually.
Wouldn't that mean that you have two same constructors in your class?

Anadi Misra
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
aah !! saw your reply after I hit the add reply button Mark. thatnks for clearing the air out for me too

Abhinav Srivastava
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
From the book Spring in Action (2nd Ed)

If a constructor has multiple constructors, any of which can be satisfied by autowiring, Spring will not attempt to guess which constructor to use.

I am not sure if the phrasing is as it was intended!

My question is from a What-if perspective. If I have an existing bean having constructors Bean(A), Bean(A, B), Bean (A, B, C), Bean (A, D) and A, B, C and D are all present in the context, which constructor will be used for wiring? Now, the quote above suggests this should not work but I didn't see any exceptions.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Abhinav Srivastava:
From the book Spring in Action (2nd Ed)

I am not sure if the phrasing is as it was intended!

My question is from a What-if perspective. If I have an existing bean having constructors Bean(A), Bean(A, B), Bean (A, B, C), Bean (A, D) and A, B, C and D are all present in the context, which constructor will be used for wiring? Now, the quote above suggests this should not work but I didn't see any exceptions.

Yes, there would be an exception because if Spring can't create the object when creating the ApplicationContext an exception is thrown.

Mark

Abhinav Srivastava
Ranch Hand
Eclipse IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No exceptions at all. I am using 2.5 . It looks like it tries to find the constructor with maximum number of parameters that it can wire.
[ October 03, 2008: Message edited by: Abhinav Srivastava ]

Sheriff
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Ubuntu
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think that it is documented but Spring looks for constructors in the following order : public constructors first, with decreasing number of arguments, then non-public constructors, again with decreasing number of arguments. I find it dangerous to rely on that kind of behaviour.

Mark Spritzler
ranger
Mac IntelliJ IDE Spring
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Christophe Verre:
I don't think that it is documented but Spring looks for constructors in the following order : public constructors first, with decreasing number of arguments, then non-public constructors, again with decreasing number of arguments. I find it dangerous to rely on that kind of behaviour.

Yeah, I think I would have liked to see an Exception thrown. But you need to have some kind of rules, and I am sure that rule is flexible that you can configure it to work differently. You can always create a BeanFactoryPostProcessor or BeanPostProcessor to overwrite that functionality, if need be.

Mark

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic