• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Could not create JVM while launching jboss

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I tried to Increase memory for jboss Service from eclipse jboss launcher configuration, but when i set Xmx to 2048 it gives me error could not create JVM, but when i set it to 1024 it works fine.

Can anybody tell me the reason for this error.

Thanks & Regards,
Jigar Naik.

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What are your Xms and Xmx values for the vm?

Jigar Naik
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
XMs is 512 and xms 2048 which is giving error

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Which OS do you use?

You description reminds me of a problem I had experienced problems on 32-bit Windows, where it was not possible to allocate more than about 1 GB of memory to the JVM, although a lot more of memory was available. The reason was that the JVM requires continuous virtual address space in memory, which was not available due to some device drivers and/or DLLs fragmenting the virtual address space (the DLLs must be mapped to the same virtual address in all processes, therefore loading a DLL at certain virtual memory address range makes that address range occupied in all future processes on the computer). Note that all this business bears no direct relation to the actual memory allocation, just reservation of the virtual address space. (Virtual address space fragmentation is quite complicated problem and I don't recall all the details from the top of my head, but I believe this is the gist of it.)

This problem doesn't exist in 64-bit Windows, because the virtual memory space is so big (2^64) that it is always possible to find many GBs of continuous virtual address space there. I'm not sure whether similar problems exist in other 32-bit systems (Unix, Mac-OS).

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic