• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

online query executor

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can somebody suggest any online SQL executor? I have a local database (MYSQL and Oracle) in my environment and I want to query those databases, installing big product for querying in my laptop makes it slow and I rarely need to query. So I don't want to install some big product for database query.
I tried using SQL developer but that is big product when the requirement is to use rarely. I would like to know any online SQL executors available in the web

Sheriff
Netbeans IDE Oracle Firefox Browser
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
That's probably going to be problematic. How would the online service connect to your local database to perform the queries there?

SQL Developer doesn't install itself, you just unpack it and run it. True, it takes ages to start, but it should not slow down your laptop when you do not use it. It also uses about 300 MB of virtual memory right after start on my system, which can be a lot if you're constrained on memory.

I use Sql*Plus to run a few queries really quick. It is a console application (running in the "DOS window") and you can start it using sqlplus.exe. If you have a local installation of the Oracle database, the tool is somewhere there. MySQL has a similar tool (or so I believe).

You could try some alternatives to SQL Developer - such as TOAD - but I don't use them, so don't know whether they would actually start faster or use less memory.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I agree with Martin - it would be a challenge.

I would offer to use remote Database instead of local. This way saved memory can be spend on comfortable development environment.

I know that Amazon RDS supports both MySQL and Oracle, but as far as I remember they don't have free/dev plans available.
Heroku has some free options available. Also they have free plans for both PostgreSQL and MySQL, but no Oracle unfortunately.

Hope it helps.

Greenhorn
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Here you go RedSQL. This is online tool and doesn't require any installation and is for multiple database. Use chrome and Mozilla for better performance.

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic