• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Maven - Not able to locate source folder and hence not building the source file

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi,

I am using Maven 3.0 version to build my struts project which has the project hierarchy as follows:

src -> com -> myorg -> source files
webContent

When I am building the project using maven goal - mvn compiler:compile, it says build successful. However, it says no source files available for compilation.

I read that default src directory that maven searches for is src/main/java. However, I don't want to convert my project into maven way of organization as it is a struts 2 guideline of organization.

Is it possible to specify the source folder in the pom.xml. I tried few things but could not make it work.

My pom.xml looks like the following:

Quick help is much appreciated.

Saurabh

Ranch Hand
Hibernate Eclipse IDE Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I read that default src directory that maven searches for is src/main/java. However, I don't want to convert my project into maven way of organization as it is a struts 2 guideline of organization

The default structure that maven follows (and also recommends) is the Standard Directory Structure ( the src/main/java structure ) and you can also create a struts project in this maven directory structure ( you wont face any issue and I have also done multiple struts2 projects following the maven directory layout ) .

How-ever if you still dont want to follow the maven structure ( although I advise you to do so since it will make your life easy ) , then you have the option to configure maven plugins to work according to your structure.

I dont see any issue in this configuration , can you please verify that everything is exactly as you have specified above ?

Saurabh Agrawal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Saif,

Thanks for your reply.

As I mentioned in original post, the directory structure that we have in project is - src/com/panera/*.

In the configuration I posted, I tried giving value as "src" as well as "src/com/panera" but it still doesn't locate the source files.

I tried it again and still the same result.

Saurabh

Saurabh Agrawal
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have found the solution myself and would like to share it with the group.

In case we need to have a different source folder structure as opposed to maven project structure, we need to specify the the source directory under build tag in pom.xml as follows:

It will compile the code from the source directory.

Thanks.
Saurabh

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Do consider what Saif recommended, however.

I'm not that fond of Maven's default directory expectations, but I use them for 2 reasons:

1. When I hand off a project (or receive a project) from someone else, I know where things will be and so will they. We may not like where they are, but we won't have to embark on a "treasure hunt" to find them.

2. Not only the compiler makes assumptions about directory structure in the Maven build process, so you may find that occasional additional customizations will be required. Murphy's Law dictates that they will manifest at the most inconvenient times.

Hey! Wanna see my flashlight? It looks like this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic