• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Graph Databases

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Ian Robinson, Jim Webber, Emil Eifrem
Publisher   : O'Reilly Media
Category   : Data modeling, SQL and JDBC
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 8 horseshoes

"Graph Databases" was more fun to read than the typical O'Reilly animal book. It was still full of technical information. I think because it was shorter (just under 200 pages( and had lots of pictures (graphs) that it felt less deep.

The book starts by being very clear what it in scope. It's the topic of graph databases and not a graph compute engine. I particularly liked the example of why relational databases fall short.

Cypher is used to show how to write queries. Taking a relational problem and making a graph model was a nice transition. The content on how to test and performance test (the query and the app) were good. I would have liked to see how to see the execution plan though.

The real world uses cases were helpful and easy to understand. As were the sample graphs and queries. Seeing how the data is stored also depended my understanding. Finally, I learned a new term "triadic closure."

I knew next to nothing about graph databases before picking up this book. Now I know what is going on conceptually - at least on a high level. I'd say that is a success. You'll need more to actually work with Neo4J, but at least you will know where to start!

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

Sasparilla and fresh horses for all my men! You will see to it, won't you tiny ad?
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic