• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Font installation in UNIX

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
hello...

We just migrated our application to an application server running in UNIX (it was running on windows before). With this, we need to do some font installation in the machine. This will be used by our application in printing bar codes. The problem is since I rarely work on UNIX machines, I find it hard to understand installation instruction in the net pertaining to the set up of fonts in UNIX.

Based on what I have researched, all seem to say that these steps are needed

1. Secure the font files (.ttf files)
2. Place them under the TrueType folder in the machine (under /usr folder)
3. Run ttmkfdir
4. Restart font server

I get that but my question is about the font server. Are x-font servers installed in Unix machines by default? and we just need to activate them? or do they need to be installed manually?

Do all x-font servers in UNIX support truetype fonts? or would that depend on the version?

I really don't get this x-font servers (XFS) thing.

I would appreciate any inputs from you guys. Thanks.

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Fonts in Unix/Linux can be very confusing. There were actually several generations of attempts at providing fonts, the mechanisms and storage locations were different, and even the clients varied. Some mechanisms were for the benefit of non-GUI systems (for example, TeX), some were usable by only a selected set of GUI apps, some were universal.

Things have pretty much stabilized in recent years, but remnants of the older systems remain for legacy purposes.

X-font servers are not installed on the system "by default", unless your "default" was a graphical (X) install or at least contained graphical support as a standard feature.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic