• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Job Role demotion acceptable?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi all,

Presently I am working in Company A as a Senior Engineer having exp of 3 years. In Company A the Engineer role is given to guys with less than 2 years of exp, Senior Engineers role are given to guys with 2+ to 4 years of exp. 4+ to 6 will be Analyst, 6+ to 8 will be module Lead and 8+ onward will be managers and so on.

I attended an interview in Company B, according to their policy 1 to 4 years of exp professionals will be a Engineer, more than 4 years of exp professionals will be a Senior Engineer.

Hence, if I join company B then I have to join as an Engineer and they will make me a senior engineer in 2015 (probably based on the role change cycle explained by their HR). They are giving me a salary hike also.

Now my concern is if I join company B, then there will be a demotion in my role from senior engineer to engineer. If I accept this offer then in upcoming days, again when I decide to move on then won't it be questioned that why I moved to a lower role during my switch from company A to company B? What to do ? Totally confused

Kindly provide your valuable inputs on this.

Thanks,
Anthony

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Likes 3
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If I were you, I'd look for a job in a company where people's pay, job description and opportunities are related to their skills and experience, instead of just how long they've occupied a seat at the company. A "Senior Engineer" doesn't suddenly become a competent "Analyst" on the 4th anniversary of joining the company, after all. If you don't know what you're doing, it doesn't matter what your job title says or how many years you've been around the place.

Look for a job that will give you the experience/skills/opportunities you want, preferably with good pay of course, instead of the one that just gives you a shiny title to put on your business cards. If you just want to collect merit badges, join the Boy Scouts.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Anthony,
Don't worry about it. The title doesn't mean anything across companies. Other companies will look at your experiences and that you've progressed to more responsibilities.

In fact, the title doesn't even mean much within the same company. I've seen "normalizations" of titles where people had their title go down. And people ignore the title and look at the person doing the work.

And quite honestly, company A has title inflation. 3 years isn't a senior anything in my mind.

Anthony D'Souz
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
This is exactly what I think as well. The HR person asked me this and I hesitated little while replying that I am not bothered about the role. My follow up question to I asked the HR was: "Will I get a Pay Hike more than my present company"? The reply was yes and I showed my interest for their position.

Thanks for the reply.

Catch Ernie! Catch the egg! And catch this tiny ad too:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic