• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Best way to store my android app data online

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Can someone please explain the best way to store my data online? Like what technology do I use? Let's say my app gets data from a group of users working on a project at the same time.i want to be able to store each user's data,process it and present it to any of the users making a request.i recently stumbled upon Google App Engine,but it's so difficult to understand.i want a suggestion based on java,or something else.Thanks in advance.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi

You can try cloud technology, it saves your data storage time and money and its easy to retrieve

Regards
Prakash

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

You can try cloud technology, it saves your data storage time and money and its easy to retrieve

Stated in this generality as if it were universally true, this statement is almost certainly wrong.

My first question is: "best" in what way? Fastest? Cheapest? Easiest to set up? Somet other criterion? It also depends on what kind of data you're talking about, how much of it, how fast you need to get at it, whether your code is supposed to run on the same server (or in the same environment) etc. Some of these may contradict one another, so there might be tradeoffs to be decided.

There is certainly no shortage of hosting options, whether "classical" hosting or "cloud" hosting.

Ojonugwa Ochalifu
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What do you suggest? If for example I decide to go for speed?

Rancher
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Storing data quickly depends on the structure of the data and whether you are going to read more, write more or update more. Some data is quicker to store is a relational database while some is quicker to search in a document oriented system.
It's unlikely that someone will be able to make these decisions for you. You obviously have a finite budget and a time frame for completion. There is also a limit to what new things you are willing to learn to be able to accomplish this (e.g your rejection of App engine) so while we can suggest options, it's really up to you to make considerations based on all the other constraints that we don't know about.

The one thing I will suggest is make sure you find out what disadvantages exist with your chosen solution before you start.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic