• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Log Everything!

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Mike Lohmann, Stefan Schadwinkel
Publisher   : Developer.Press
Category   : Other
Review by : Jeanne Boyarsky
Rating        : 2 horseshoes

The first book I read from this publisher (HTML5 Security) was really great. Two of my fellow moderators at CodeRanch reviewed other books from this publisher and gave poor reviews. I decided to review another book to see if the problem was the book or expectations. For a $3 PDF, you aren't expecting a full book. However, I am expecting accuracy, proofreading and saving me a good amount of time in research, a unique view or something.

My biggest problem is that this book needed an editor/proofreader. There were enough spelling and grammar errors to make the book hard to read. I didn't realize how important commas were to reading until they were missing in so many places. Even one of the author's bios had typos/spelling errors.

Let's suppose I can get past this issue. I couldn't, but let's suppose. The book walks you through a PHP project and how the authors did logging. The authors say they were motivated to write the book due to projects lacking in logging requirements. There are a few references to a project "log everything" making me think this was a project on the internet and this book is a form of project documentation/background. Couldn't find any source code online. I read the intro several times and still had trouble figuring out what the goal was.

A third of page 6 and all of page 7 was a code example. The code is commented, but I'm not a fan of a book dumping code on you. On the bright side, I'm not a PHP developer and found the code easy to read.

I did like the references to other projects like Monolog and Symfony2. The description of message flow types and exchanges was good. As was the intro to Casalog.

Unfortunately, I can't recommend you buy this. Even at $3, I don't think it is worth it. I suspect that books from DeveloperPress are heavily dependent on the author and I was lucky with HTML5 Security.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at Amazon.com

On my planet I'm considered quite beautiful. Thanks to the poetry in this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic