• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Question to Bob Janson - database topics in the book

Bartender
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Bob,

Some questions:

1) Do you cover database products download and install? Can reader run the accompanying code from apress.com ?

2) Are your samples use JPA? (I downloaded samples, but seems code uses plain JDBC, maybe I overlooked, please correct me)

3) Assuming from your earlier explanations that your book is for Java newbies, do you think it's a proper style to use SQL and/or JDBC?

Thanks,
MZ

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi MZ,
1. Nothing about installing a DBMS (kinda outside the scope of an intro to java book) but if you have access to a DB2, Oracle or Access DBMS you can add the unique info for the DBMS to the code and it will run. I included Access because I figured most newbies wouldn't have access to an enterprise level DBMS like Oracle or DB2. Again, the book goes through step by step how to set up a ODBC data source in Windows (which is part of the non-WebSphere technology that I alluded to in other posts).
2. Plain JDBC in the client app and then SDO in the server based section. Do you think JPA is appropriate for beginners? Defining the relationships between the JPA entities, referential constraints, etc. seemed too much to me. I guess I could have just had a single table. Do you see JPA as a substitute for SDO and JDBC or in addition to?
3. I'm not sure what you mean by "proper style". Do you think it's too complicated? Bad programming? Old technology? I partially did it so they would appreciate the GUI tools for using SDOs.

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic