• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java vs Groovy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello Everyone!!!
I have just been to a java interview today..but they are offering me work on Groovy-Grails not on java.
As a fresher in the industry should i go for it or should i wait for the java opening ?
I am in great confusion.
Thanks!!!

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I don't think we can advise you.
A few things to consider: Are you happy to work with Groovy? Are there lots of other job opportunities for you to apply for? How long might you have to go without a salary? How easy would it be to move?

I expect this thread will move to a different forum.

Tarun Oohri
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:I don't think we can advise you.
A few things to consider: Are you happy to work with Groovy? Are there lots of other job opportunities for you to apply for? How long might you have to go without a salary? How easy would it be to move?

I expect this thread will move to a different forum.

I have never read Groovy, I have been in java always...Even the interview i went through , they took 3 long rounds in java itself ..
No such opportunities as of now but people in the industry say that market will open in Feb , then lots of openings will be there.
All i want that , if i consider this job and after an year .. if i think of changing ..would i get growth and openings for Groovy as we get for java ?
I do not want to waste time on the technology which have no scope in future , I have great interest in java although i am not perfect .. The knowledge i have , just dont want to waste it opting Groovy.

Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Groovy has been around for several years and is used in various places. It is also the basis for the Gradle build system. If your employer is giving you a chance to add a new skill to your portfolio, why not take advantage of this opportunity? The trend n the industry is towards polyglot programming, so why not join in and become an even more Well Grounded Java Developer?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Right. Groovy is a JVM language. A lot of what you learn will apply to many languages.

Nobody can predict the future, but Groovy isn't some obsolete or niche language.

chris webster
Bartender
Scala Python Oracle Postgres Database Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
In case you're still interested in knowing more about Groovy, see this post on Making Java Groovy.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic