• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Java 8: Lambda Expressions and Streams

Bartender
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Author/s    : Marty Hall
Publisher   : Addison-Wesley Professional. LiveLessons series.
Category   : Beginning Java, Advanced Java, DVDs
Review by : Bill Gorder
Rating        : 6 horseshoes

What I didn't like:
- I expected more interaction maybe some labs or exercises
- Video segments were a little too long to easily stop and start
- A lot of repetition throughout the second lesson
- I did not care for the narrated slide show format. I would have liked to see a format that capitalized more on this being a video.

What I liked:
-The examples clearly expressed the concept being taught.
-Additional detail on how things worked was provided rather than just focusing on syntax
-This was my first experience with the new Java features like lambdas, functional interfaces, method references and the function package. I feel after having watched this video and practiced a bit, that I have a good understanding of the topics.

Marty Hall is an experienced trainer and accomplished author. He does a good job covering the topics, and he is certainly first to the market with this course. Given a person knows what to expect going in (this is a narrated slide presentation), I could recommend this course to those wanting an early look at the new Java 8 features if it were not for the price point. This course is listed at $199.00 (although currently I can get it for $100). Both of these prices exceed the value received from the course in my opinion. A book can be purchased at under half the discounted rate, and nothing about the course capitalized on video in a way that made it advantageous over written literature. I would suggest instead to hold off until some of the books currently being written become available. You could also take advantage of one of the early access programs offered by most publishers. If you don't mind the work you can also get a taste from the free tutorials, and blogs scattered about, although no single one of these will cover all the things in this course. If you are impatient and have the extra money to burn, then this course is good from a technical coverage perspective. It covers all the points outlined in the course description and is easy to follow and listen to.

If the price were made more competitive, or some extra value was added to justify the cost difference from the upcoming written literature, I would add a couple horseshoes and change my recommendation.

---
Disclosure: I received a copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for writing this review on behalf of CodeRanch.

More info at InformIT

Bookmark Topic Watch Topic