• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

K&B 7 - finally with the review team!

author
  • Likes 12
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi Guys,

We're so embarrassed that K&B 7 has taken us so darned long to finish, our apologies!

But the book is going to the review team today and the publisher on Monday so we're almost there! We'll keep you posted when we have a better idea of the actual publication date. As has been hinted, this new book (that covers the OCA 7, the OCP 7, and the OCP 7 upgrade exams), is monsterously huge. We're still working on the details, but we expect the printed book will be about 1200 pages, and that the CD that comes with the book will have about another 400-500 pages of stuff. (The CD will contain four master exams, two for the OCA and two for the OCP.)

More info, as soon as we have it!

Thanks,

Bert and Kathy

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
You are killing me!
Your SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 book is the only one that I enjoy reading, and from which the material actually sinks in. Unfortunately I MUST take the OCA 7 exam next week. I can't wait any longer. So I am reading some of your 6 book, while piecing it together with exam objectives from other sources. I would do anything for even the two-minute drills for the OCA 7 exam! At least if it was really December I wouldn't feel as bad.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Awesome. I can't wait to read your book.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Andrea Black wrote: You are killing me!
Your SCJP Sun Certified Programmer for Java 6 book is the only one that I enjoy reading, and from which the material actually sinks in. Unfortunately I MUST take the OCA 7 exam next week. I can't wait any longer. So I am reading some of your 6 book, while piecing it together with exam objectives from other sources. I would do anything for even the two-minute drills for the OCA 7 exam! At least if it was really December I wouldn't feel as bad.

Andrea: Almost everything on the OCA 7 is covered in K&B 6. Bert even lists the relevant parts here. It's the OCP 7 where things diverge.

And good luck on your exam.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Great!! I really need your book asap. It said it'd be 26th of Dec in 2014. Is it right or any idea when it will be released??

Andrea Black
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
OK I just realized that it is a GOOD thing that the book is almost finished, because it is for the OCP Java SE 7 Programmer II exam as well! So I am waiting with baited breath. Is there an online unofficial version anywhere? Pretty please?

Bartender
Android Mac OS X Firefox Browser Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Bert

Great the K&B7 version of the book is almost out. Since Java 8 is GA, maybe work on that too LOL.

Greenhorn
Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hello,
in amazon.co.uk this book is said it'll be released on Jan'15!!! 9 months from today!!! Is this the real release date? Any update on the real release date?
Thanks.

Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I guess this is just an old estimation. I doubt it takes 9 month to print a book for a small edition.

Regards,
Bernhard

Andrea Black
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I have to stop waiting for this book. I didn't have it for OCAJP SE 7 but I assumed I would have it for the next one. Meanwhile I took a break from studying and am forgetting what I learned for the first exam!
Since we don't have a release date, I guess the thing to do is to finish the entire OCJP 6 book (having read the first 5 chapters) and then study the new Java 7 topics separately.

It's just a shame. I would enjoy the new book so much!

Bernhard Goetz
Ranch Hand
Netbeans IDE Oracle Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Same here, Andrea. I did my oca in november. Now I stopped waiting for K&B too and bought Ganesh's book. It's said that it is not the best preparation but I hope to polish my knowledge with enthuware mostly.
I've never read K&B for OCJP 6. Was it such a good read? It's all over the forums here.

Regards,
Bernhard

Andrea Black
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, it was a good read. I actually enjoyed reading it. (At least chapters 1-5!)
It seems to be geared exactly to my level, and interesting enough, and at the right pace--just made me feel comfortable.
Now I don't want to read any other prep book and feel kind of stuck with this second exam.

Andrea Black
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to goodreads.com, the expected publication date is May 22, 2014.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Amazon and the publisher site both say December. This seems like shorthand for "don't know but forced to fill in a date." My guess is sometime between the two dates .

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic