• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Beginner with GUIs

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am new a creating GUIs and am not quite sure how to correctly make one. I have done the inheritance parts, and created two extra appliances: a washer and dryer. Creating the GUI is where i need the help.
Thank you for all responses.

Here are the instructions to my project.
Introduction to GUIs (+ some inheritance)
For this assignment, you are going to create a user interface that interacts with the setters and getters of some classes that you will create.
First, create an abstract class called Appliance. This abstract class should have two attributes (dealing with household appliances) and two abstract methods called turnOn() and turnOff(). These methods should return void.
Then, create two subclasses of Appliance that represent household appliances (like a Refrigerator or Stove ((don't use those!))). These subclasses should have two attributes that are specific to the various appliance. Each subclass should implement the turnOn() and turnOff() methods. These methods should print to the command line some information about the appliance as it turns on and off.
Now, the fun part! Create a GUI interface!
Your window should have two panels: one for each appliance subclass. Each panel should have 4 textboxes (with appropriate labels) to receive/display information that correspond to the 4 attributes (2 from Appliance and 2 from the subclass) for each subclass.You also need 2 buttons on each panel: A Get button and a Set button.
When the Get button is pressed, the text boxes should be filled with the information from the instantiated object of the appropriate subclass. When the Set button is pressed, the object should then contain the information contained that the user has altered.
In your main method, you should create an object of each subclass, and prefill it with information (either using the constructor or the setters), then display your GUI. You should now be able to get and set the information for your objects from the GUI.
Notes:
At least one of your attributes for each subclass should be numeric
Note that you will need to handle incorrectly formatted input (You can use exception handling to do this if you want to. Wrapper classes also will work)
If there is text in the boxes when the "Get" button is pressed, it should be overwritten by what is in the object
Remember that these two panels should both be on screen at the same time. You don't need 2 different windows, one window: 2 panels.

Bartender
Android Google Web Toolkit Mac Eclipse IDE Ubuntu Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Shaylen Patel wrote:Creating the GUI is where i need the help.

So what have you tried so far, and where are you stuck?
Along with what is being taught to you in school, you should definitely check out http://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/uiswing/

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic