• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Job hunting! Complicated Situation for me

Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hello,
I have a situation which is little bit complicated for me. I have not found anybody else till now who have faced similar situation. Please suggest me something if you can.

Little bit about myself first:

1. I am an Indian citizen.
2. I am a Permanent Resident of USA.
3. I am currently pursuing my Bachelors of Engineering degree in Computer Science from Rajiv Gandhi Technical University, India.(Final year)
4. My grades/CGPA/percentage is abysmal.(5.31/10.0 till now, by the end of the course it might be somewhere around 5.7/10.0)
5. I am going to take OCPJP 6 by the end of this month(most probably).

As I said that I am a PR of USA therefore I will be going to US(Jersey City) after my graduation. But I have no idea about the job market there and hence I have a lot of confusion regarding my career.

1. Will I get a job in US as a Java developer with a degree from India, that too with bad grades?(Thinking about getting my degree and mark sheets evaluated by WES or any other such institutions)
2. For what position should I apply? Entry Level or Junior?
3. If I will get a job, how much would I be paid(roughly)?

My knowledge of Technologies:
J2SE, JSP, Servlets, beans, JSTL, AWT, Swing, Hibernate, Struts, MySQL, XHTML, CSS, Java Script, PHP.

My course would end in January 2015. By then, my target is to develop 5-6 projects(desktop apps, web apps, and mobile apps based on Android & IOS, which I still have to learn).

So, this is my situation and it would be really great if you could help me in any ways possible.
Thank you!

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nilay,
You'd be looking for an entry level job. To make things complicated, some companies refer to their entry level developers as "junior" or "associate." When you read the job posting, see what the experience requirements are. Entry level jobs in New York City pay about $50K.

Do you have any experience? Volunteer? Internship? What sets you apart from other candidates? And what can do to change/improve that? (I think I read you were pursuing a Java cert?) For example, maybe you can answer some questions here on CodeRanch so you have something to point to. And post some code on github.

It will be challenging getting past the "low GPA at a foreign" school. Which means you need to show what you can do so grades are less important.

Nilay Mitash
Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hey Jeanne thank you so much for your reply.

I don't have any work experience in a company as such except for a 6weeks of training at a local Software development company, which was the part of my coursework.

Although I do not have significant work experience yet but as I mentioned earlier, I am going to develop few projects on my on(independently) by the end of this year.

Also I have a domain which I have bought recently, I am going to develop a web site for it as soon as I get free from my upcoming end semester exams.

These are my target projects of this year(don't have specific ideas about the projects titles yet):

-Desktop App using Java
-Develop my domain web site (Using XHTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript)
-Develop a Web Application
-Develop a web application using J2EE Frameworks (Hibernate and Struts)
-Develop Compiler
-Develop Android app
-Develop IOS app

Do you think doing all of this would help my case?
Can you suggest some projects ideas for me to work on?

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yes, that's a portfolio which will show you can deliver working code.

Nilay Mitash
Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thank you Jeanne!

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nilay Mitash wrote:
Also I have a domain which I have bought recently, I am going to develop a web site for it as soon as I get free from my upcoming end semester exams.

These are my target projects of this year(don't have specific ideas about the projects titles yet):

-Desktop App using Java
-Develop my domain web site (Using XHTML, CSS, PHP, JavaScript)
-Develop a Web Application
-Develop a web application using J2EE Frameworks (Hibernate and Struts)
-Develop Compiler
-Develop Android app
-Develop IOS app

It may help to get more clarity on the projects listed -- as with many of them, they are very vague.

For example, "develop IOS app" can be as simple as installing an SDK and emulator, and writing a "hello world" program to something much more complex than that. However, whatever project you choose, I recommend something demonstrable -- I think it would be cool to actually pull out your iphone during an interview, and showing you work (assuming that it is more than a hello world app, of course).

Henry

Rancher
Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
If you have the option, you might be better off getting your initial experience in India. It's easier to find entry jobs in India than in the US. Also, are you settled on returning to the jersey area. Being flexible with location opens up your options.

Nilay Mitash
Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Henry Wong wrote:

It may help to get more clarity on the projects listed -- as with many of them, they are very vague.

For example, "develop IOS app" can be as simple as installing an SDK and emulator, and writing a "hello world" program to something much more complex than that. However, whatever project you choose, I recommend something demonstrable -- I think it would be cool to actually pull out your iphone during an interview, and showing you work (assuming that it is more than a hello world app, of course).

Henry

Hey Henry, thank you for your reply!

I really don't think anybody would put a "Hello World" program app on their resume. :p but I get your point.

For now, I have no specific ideas about some of these projects including the Android and iOS apps but I am sure they will be interactive.

Here the details of my target projects:

- Develop a desktop app using java: College placement/recruitment portal, which can be used by the students of a college to get the information about the upcoming campus placements. College authorities can update information regularly. It would be useful because in current scenario, many colleges in India do not provide such a facility and hence students don't get informed about the interviews well in advance and therefore cannot prepare properly.

-Develop my domain website: It will be my portfolio website. It will have all the professional information about me and also there will be a "Projects" section from where people can download and use apps/software developed by me.

-Develop a web application using Hibernate and Struts: I don't have any specific ideas about it yet but it could be like a management website for chain of hotels/restaurants/stores etc. Also, customer could log in and use various services such as booking rooms/reserving tables/reserving products(which they can just go to the store and pick up from the counter and don't have to run around looking for the products).

-Develop a Compiler: I think the title is self explanatory. It would be available on my website as an integrated component.

-Develop Android and iOS apps: I don't have any specific ideas for them either but it will be interactive and will be available for download on their respective markets(play store and apple store).

Can you tell me now if doing all of these would help me?

Thank you!

Nilay Mitash
Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jayesh A Lalwani wrote:If you have the option, you might be better off getting your initial experience in India. It's easier to find entry jobs in India than in the US. Also, are you settled on returning to the jersey area. Being flexible with location opens up your options.

Hey Jayesh, thanks for your reply!

I cannot work in India because if I stay here for a long period of time, I might lose my Green Card.
My dad lives in Jersey city, so, initially I will be going there. But i am open for relocation if the pay is good. I can stay at my dad's place and save a lot of money because I wouldn't have to pay for rent and other utilities.
As Jeanne said in above mentioned post, the entry level jobs in NY pay about 50K a year, if this is the case everywhere else, I think I am better off staying in Jersey and saving some money.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Have you asked your dad for help networking? Living in the area, he might know someone who can put it in a good word for you.

Nilay Mitash
Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
No I haven't. He himself is a computer science engineer and works at Royal Bank of Canada, NY. I guess he could help me but I have never really asked him.

Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Nilay Mitash wrote: I guess he could help me but I have never really asked him.

You should. A good percentage of jobs are filled by networking.

Nilay Mitash
Greenhorn
Mac Hibernate Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
okay, I will!

Thanks Jeanne!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic