• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Passed!

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Chrome Java
  • Likes 4
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Whew... after a very very tiring day.
I am glad that I passed the OCAJP7 exam, and kudos to this very active java community
for sharing their wonderful experiences, tips and resources.

Here's a recap of my certification preparation:

I've started my study more than two months ago, I think last week of february 2014. I did a thorough research on the web and found this great java forum where I discovered many helpful resources.
from that, I chose:
* OCA Java SE 7 Programmer I Certification Guide: Prepare for the 1ZO-803 exam by Mala Gupta
* SCJP6 by K&B

Mock Exams:
* Enthuware OCAJP7 Practice Tests
* Whizlabs OCAJP7 Practice Tests

I read mala's book cover to cover, and after reviewing it I took the mock test scoring 80%. Then, from time to time I read the thread posts here at java ranch and also posted a number of questions here.
I tried enthuware's mock exams but after answering a few questions, then I said to myself this is enough. It's quite harder than the mock test in mala's book. So I began to try to review SCJP6 by K&B and carefully
read chapters 1-6,10. After that I reread again mala's book together with some coding practice to familiarize myself on what might that code snippet result/what might happen if I do that...
After coding and reading and analyzing stuffs, I retried enthuware's mock exam and passed all of it. I think I scored higher here because my mind was still fresh from reviewing and it's of high quality.

Even though I've done the mock exams from enthuware I was still not satisfied, I want to make sure that I am 100% ready so I decided to try whizlabs based on some users feedback here.
What I could say is that enthuware is of high quality compared to whizlabs and should be priced higher than it but you can get that for only 10$. That's good for those preparing for the exam. Whizlabs is
good, but not good enough. They haven't been proofread carefully because I noticed mistakes on grammar, spelling, some case letters of code snippets (like upper case Public), etc. Enthuware has the hardest mock exams while whizlabs is a bit easier. I took my whizlab's last day test yesterday scoring 86%. And to my suprise, I got almost the same score with my real exam scoring 85%. Though, I was disappointed I missed my objective to score at least 90 or more.

Now, the wrong things I that happened before and during the exam day:
* I booked my exam just after 3 business days left. I wasn't sure if I will go to the testing center yesterday because I haven't received any confirmation email. Just a last minute look at my email before I went to sleep that I discovered my confirmation email. So I crammed and prepared the things I need for the exam.
* I wasn't able to sleep early.
* During registration at PearsonVue website, this was very unfortunate for me because I encountered an error that not only affected me but also some of the test takers. So I needed to contact each of pearsonvue support for almost an hour because not all numbers seem to work from oracle's phone. This was really exhausting, and I really thought I wouldn't be able to take the exam.
* It's already lunch time and I'm just at the beginning of the exam. Haven't taken my lunch before exam.

I'm not blaiming any of these factors for my score, but I hope that others won't get this bad experience.

Whew, this was really a tiring day for me...
Still, at least I reached my goal.
I'm satisfied now.
Hopefully, OCPJP7 will be my next target. Thank you!

Sheriff
Hibernate jQuery Eclipse IDE Spring MySQL Database AngularJS Tomcat Server Chrome Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations, champion!

Don't forget to add your name to the OcajpWallOfFame!

Thanks for sharing your experiences / journey in such great detail. Have a cow!

Ed Cardenas
Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE Chrome Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Done adding my name to the OcajpWallOfFame.

Thanks again for your help and granting me a cow!

Enthuware Software Support
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Congratulations, Ed!
Glad to know you liked our product

MyExamCloud Software Support
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
congratulations!

Ranch Hand
MySQL Database Clojure Java
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Your score is great! Be proud. It was hard work and it was worth it.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Nice, congratulations!

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic