• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Automator Editor Battery Usage Went Nuts

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I can throw this with a tag for Joe Kissell, but open to all.

I had the Automator editor open (and had two actions open that turn on/off "cloud" services -- they exist because when I get to work I want to shutdown Amazon Cloud, GoogleDrive, Box, DropBox, etc because they are blocked by our firewalls. And then to start it when I get home. I had Automator open to tweak one where I need to make a change for the Crashplan Service -- not the application).

Anyway, I took my MacBook Pro Retina 15" to a series of meetings at work. After 2 hours or so I was suddenly warned that my battery was dangerously low. I had to run back to my desk and grab my power supply. After giving it "juice", I opened up the Activity Monitor and looked at the Energy tab and saw that Automator had used/was using 96% of the battery. CPU levels didn't seem to be an issue - or I hand't noticed.

I quit Automator and after recharging my Mac I unplugged the Mac and opened the Automator editor again But in my brief testing I couldn't get Automator to use the battery so badly.

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen that type of power issue with the Automator editor.

My only other thought to try would be to step through on of those actions and just leave it between two steps and see if that was the trigger. I don't recall if I had run one or was stepping through and then went to the meeting and left things in a "limbo" state.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Brian

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I haven't seen that behavior, so at the moment I don't have a good explanation. That's certainly strange—Automator shouldn't be using energy like that when it's just open but not doing anything.

Joe

Brian Bezanson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm going to try and diagnose it a little more. I'm trying to get some automated flows set-up at home in addition to this work.

Specifically to see if there is a decent way to take documents I scan (ScanSnap -> PDFPen Pro -> OCR). I'd like to rename the document based on some content in the PDF - but I'm not sure of a decent way to do that. Maybe after they are scanned, OCR'ed, and saved I move them into drop folders based on the document type (Medical Info, Medical Receipt, Regular Receipt, Other documents) and have something separate for each to ideal name and file properly.

I'll have to take a look at your book too.

Brian

Slime does not pay. Always keep your tiny ad dry.
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic