• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Which App Server is a better choice?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
All:
If I have to decide between BEA WebLogic and IBM WebSphere Application Servers, which one should I choose taking into account performance, scalability, ease of installation, development environment, etc. etc?
I read a white paper from TechMetrix suggested by moderator George Brown (http://www.techmetrix.com/products/prod_wp02.shtml) that seems to give an impression that Weblogic is better than WebSphere as far as J2EE conformation, portability, scalability, etc. That was more from a migration aspect from WebSphere to WebLogic.
However, if I were to choose one product for application development from the scratch, which one should I choose and how would you rate it better than the other one?
Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Viji

[This message has been edited by Viji Bharat (edited February 26, 2001).]

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Yeah, WebSphere is pretty far behind in terms of version support and they aren't J2EE compliant.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Not agree... That could be some years ago, but currently, Websphere is ahead to WebLogic on terms on complaiance on J2EE standars as well as on investments, framework, "vision", utilities, and development tools.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Andres Gorostidi:
Not agree... That could be some years ago, but currently, Websphere is ahead to WebLogic on terms on complaiance on J2EE standars as well as on investments, framework, "vision", utilities, and development tools.

First of all... the original post is indeed over two years old. :roll:
Secondly, you can't just come in here a rant about Websphere being ahead of WebLogic without giving concrete examples. At least, not if you want to be taken seriously.
Given me an example of the following:
Websphere being ahead of WebLogic in J2EE Complainance. (WebLogic 7.0 was J2EE 1.3 and GA in April 2002. Websphere 5.0, which was IBM's first J2EE 1.3 Server, was not GA until November 2002)
Investments? Explain...
Framework? What framework does Websphere provide that cannot be run on WebLogic? Most people use OSS frameworks such as Struts and WebWork. These will run equally fine on both.
"Vision"? Please define.
Utilities? I hope you are not referring to the helpless Application Assembly Tool (AAT). Most people have long since switched to Ant.
Development Tools? WSAD is definitely a necessity if you are doing Websphere work. However, there is nothing stopping anyone from using Eclipse (which is what WSAD is based on) with WebLogic.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
hello
originally,i am a weblogic client,now,i use websphere,after my comparison,i find that developing under the websphere enveronment is PAINFUL,bad performance,too many bug,unconvenient to use,if you don't install the patch,you even can't deploy a simple "hello world" session bean on the websphere.......,i think the weblogic is excellent.
what i have said is based websphere4.0,i never use websphere5.0.but i don't think there will be great promotion.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I've got work on projects using Borland App Server 4.5, Borland Enterprise Server 5, JBoss 3, Websphere 4.XX ( can't remember excactly the version here), WebLogic 6.1 and 7, and Weblogic was far away the one that had less bugs and less painful to configure, tunning , etc. If I had to build a list it would be in my oppinion:
1 - Weblogic
2 - JBoss
3 - Websphere
4 - BES and BAS (this ones have good integration with Visibroker and can be very helpfull if u're using CORBA in a project)
This is my personal oppinion thought.
regards.

zb cong
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
yes,i agree with Marcos,jboss is a good animal.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic