• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Regex?

Ranch Hand
IntelliJ IDE MySQL Database Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
How about a RegEx forum so we can ask and answer questions specific to RegEx (which obviously is used in many languages)???

Sheriff
Mac Mac OS X IntelliJ IDE jQuery TypeScript Java iOS
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'm not sure there's really enough traffic to warrant a separate forum. I see you posted in Java in General -- I'd say that's the best choice.

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We get one or two threads a week in JiG and BJ combined about regexes. That would be too few to justify a whole forum.

Michael D Sims
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Campbell Ritchie wrote:We get one or two threads a week in JiG and BJ combined about regexes. That would be too few to justify a whole forum.

Forgive my ignorance when it comes to administering a site such as this one, but would the concept of "If you build it, they will come" be a possibility here? Perhaps as such questions get asked, and as google farms the data and people who aren't members yet start finding answers to their RegEx questions, seeing that we now cater to their crazy world ... maybe it would grow and become a nice little archive for future geek / lunatics such as ourselves to use as a resource.

But I admit ignorance when it comes to understanding the nature of electronic forum 'supply and demand'... In a retail environment, it would probably make sense to start carrying 3d printers when we don't currently carry them even though we only get asked a few times a month because in the long run, becoming the one stop shop for customers is the goal... but I'm thinking that such logic would not apply here for reasons which I have yet to understand???

Thank you for taking the time to reply, by the way. What I love most about this site, is that I seem to always get an intelligent and polite response to my posts, and that has immense value to those of us actually trying to learn and move forward in our understanding of these often complex problems.

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
There's an aspect of community/volume. If a forum hardly gets any posts, it gets less likely to get clicked on. Then discussion isn't as rich.

Michael D Sims
Ranch Hand
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:There's an aspect of community/volume. If a forum hardly gets any posts, it gets less likely to get clicked on. Then discussion isn't as rich.

Makes sense.

Is there a FAQ to help me understand the site better? More specifically, I'd like to understand how Ranking works, What exactly a cow is, how they are given and why they are important, Basically everything I'm curious about, I am looking at on my public profile page ... whatever those numbers mean next to Total given, Given in last 30 days, Total received etc. I THINK they have something to do with Likes?

Anyways, a general FAQ explaining the in's and out's of this community would be awesome. I searched for one without success.

Jeanne Boyarsky
author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
See RanchCows and Saloon Titles

Michael D Sims
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:See RanchCows and Saloon Titles

Thank you, those were very helpful.

Mike

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic