• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Internship

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
I am right now pursuing B.tech(3rd year).I want to do internship from [company names redacted]
these are the requirements as listed by one of the companies:

1-Pursuing BS, MS or PhD in Computer Science or related field
2-Experience with Java, Objective-C, C#, or C/C++ programming and debugging skills
3-Passionate about user experience
4-Android, iOS, or Windows Phone development experience is strongly preferred, but not required
5-Working experience with networking and messaging protocols is strongly preferred, but not required

Now the problem I am seeing in getting that are:
1-I have heard many times from my seniors that it is impossible for an Indian student to get internship from such companies(That really increases my heart beat)
2-They require recommendation from an existing intern or an employee(Which i surely dont have)
3-They require resume(I dont know how to make an effective one)
4-they require webpage of my own(which i dont have)
5-they want to know whether i have any achievement in coding section or i had made any voluntary contribution(Apart from being online at this forum and taking and giving help to forum members.I dont have any other achievement)

So will anyone help me in solving my hurdles in getting internship
("I really dont know where to post this.So if any moderator wants to move it at some other place,i dont have any problem")

author
jQuery Eclipse IDE Firefox Browser VI Editor C++ Chrome Java Linux Windows
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sachin Tripathi wrote:
1-I have heard many times from my seniors that it is impossible for an Indian student to get internship from such companies(That really increases my heart beat)

Yeah, you might need to clarify this a bit ... specifically, where are you located?

If you are based in India, then why the heck would the local Indian office of a company discriminate against locals? Is there really a large pool of foreigners attending university in India?

If you are based in the US, then there are laws against such discrimination... not that you can do anything with it though (as you are trying to get in at the bottom). IMHO, if you believe that a company is doing this, perhaps you should consider another company? After all, isn't a company that doesn't discriminate, a lower hanging fruit?

Henry

Henry Wong
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sachin Tripathi wrote:
3-They require resume(I dont know how to make an effective one)
4-they require webpage of my own(which i dont have)
5-they want to know whether i have any achievement in coding section or i had made any voluntary contribution(Apart from being online at this forum and taking and giving help to forum members.I dont have any other achievement)

Unfortunately, this is reality... Keep in mind that you are competing against your fellow graduates. Your university degree doesn't mean that you are guaranteed to get a good job or even a job at all. Your university degree means that you qualify for one -- every one of your fellow graduates also have a degree too.

In other words, even for companies that don't require mandatory achievements (or experience) for internships, they will very likely chose candidates with more achievements on their resume.

Henry

Marshal
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Of course you have to produce a resumé or CV. If you want them to know you are competent, you must show them the other achievements.

Sachin Tripathi
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
So Will you please tell me what things or achievement on resume will make me distinguishable from others
Or atleast meet their's eligibility criteria for internship

Henry Wong
author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Sachin Tripathi wrote:So Will you please tell me what things or achievement on resume will make me distinguishable from others
Or atleast meet their's eligibility criteria for internship

Well, I guess that depends on who the others are? If the internship is for a small startup, seems boring, pays nothing, and hence, only have a hundred or so applicants, then you need to distinguish yourself from those hundred applications. If you are going for a very coveted internship, with thousands and thousands of applicants, some of whom have years of actual experience, then it becomes much harder right?

Henry

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Three of your obstacles are solvable problems.

Sachin Tripathi wrote:3-They require resume(I dont know how to make an effective one),

There are many websites and books on this topic. In particular, you should include
  • Have you had any jobs before? It's ok if they aren't computer related. It's also ok if they aren't paid. Tutoring others, working at a local store, watching a little cousin, etc. The idea is to show that you are responsible.
  • Something that shows you can code. A link to your github accont is ok. (It's free to create one and put some practice code you write in there.)
  • What makes you different from the other students in your year? Why should they hire you as an intern? Try to answer this question here in the forum so you cna see if what are you thinking sounds good.
  • What technologies did you learn in school? Have you read about any on your own?

• Sachin Tripathi wrote:4-they require webpage of my own(which i dont have)

You can get a basic website hosted for free.

Sachin Tripathi wrote:5-they want to know whether i have any achievement in coding section or i had made any voluntary contribution(Apart from being online at this forum and taking and giving help to forum members.I dont have any other achievement)

Don't undervalue your contributions in this forum. You are looking for things that set you apart. Not everyone posts in a forum. Also, go back to my comment about github. You want to show some code.

Sachin Tripathi
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Jeanne Boyarsky wrote:

• What makes you different from the other students in your year? Why should they hire you as an intern? Try to answer this question here in the forum so you cna see if what are you thinking sounds good.

• Apart from being super passionate about the branch that i had opted for my grad i.e. cse(which surely dont make me different because many of us are)
    I am a quick learner.I give my 200% to a task ,once assigned to me.I have a zeal to learn new things.
    I am an active member of this forum(this surely must be counted.This is one of the best things i had done in my life)
    +I give free tuition to needy kids..and committed assistance to juniors of mine(dont know whether to include this or not)

Henry Wong
    author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Sachin Tripathi wrote:
    I am a quick learner. I give my 200% to a task ,once assigned to me. I have a zeal to learn new things.

This is just a pet peeve of mine, so feel free to ignore.

In my opinion, 100% is the maximum that is possible. When someone says 100%, it means that that person is spending all of his/her time on the task.

Now, you would think that 200% is twice that, but it isn't. If 100% is the maximum, then 200% is simply not possible. This means that the person is using a scale whose maximum is not 100%. Since 100% is not the maximum, then what is the maximum? Is it 200%? Is it 1000%? Is it 10000%? If it is the later, then 200% is only a small portion of the person's time.

Now, of course, no one spends 100% of the time on a task. People have to sleep. People have to eat. That is not the point. The 100% (or even 200%) is not meant to be accurate... but ... by breaking the scale, you have actually weaken the statement (not doubled it)...

Anyway, sorry for the distraction.
    Henry

Sachin Tripathi
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks everyone
    No Henry it was very helpful.It was surely not a distraction

Jeanne Boyarsky
    author & internet detective
    Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Sachin Tripathi wrote:Apart from being super passionate about the branch that i had opted for my grad i.e. cse(which surely dont make me different because many of us are)

But not all. Some are there because they have heard CSE pays well.

Sachin Tripathi wrote:I am a quick learner.I give my 200% to a task ,once assigned to me.I have a zeal to learn new things.

For both this and the previous, it is how to show it. Maybe a "favorite books" section? To show you have exposed yourself to more than just what you learn in chool.

Sachin Tripathi wrote:I am an active member of this forum(this surely must be counted.This is one of the best things i had done in my life)

++

Sachin Tripathi wrote:+I give free tuition to needy kids..and committed assistance to juniors of mine(dont know whether to include this or not)

I would. Anything to make you stand out helps for your first job.

Sachin Tripathi
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thanks a lot Jeanne
    I am curious if I can do some thing or make some effort to w create difference from the crowd
    And the scjp or OCA certificate will make any difference if I will have any ,or any other certification you suggest

Rancher
    Eclipse IDE Spring Tomcat Server
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

Sachin Tripathi wrote:
    Apart from being super passionate about the branch that i had opted for my grad i.e. cse(which surely dont make me different because many of us are)
    I am a quick learner.I give my 200% to a task ,once assigned to me.I have a zeal to learn new things.

It's not enough to say that you are super passionate about CSE, and can learn new things quickly. You will have to demonstrate it. One way to demonstrate that is by putting up a webpage that shows all the things that you have learnt and are passionate about

+I give free tuition to needy kids..and committed assistance to juniors of mine(dont know whether to include this or not)

THis is also something that you will need to demonstrate. Do you belong to a volunteer organization and have someone write a reccomendation letter for you?

Sachin Tripathi
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    I can prove the later one but certainly need some thing to demonstrate my passion for CSE

Marshal
    Mac OS X VI Editor BSD Java
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Hi,

From myself I could add:

1. CV/Resume - make sure it does not contain mistakes, make sure it is formatted impeccably.
    2. If you don't have previous work experience, even if you do have - state modules you learn in your university, what kind of understanding about certain topics you got already from them.
    3. Do not write in your CV such a things as: "I'm able to learn fast, i'm keen on details, I'm a team player..., etc", in different words - do not waste valuable space of page for dry information which doesn't say nothing.
    4. When you send your CV's, show your interest in certain kind of area, be precise, accurate about the things you'd like to learn during the intern time.
    5. Most important - be disciplined. If you decide to send 20 CV's a day, make sure you send them, no matter what (<- once again, if 5th step is not being accomplished on daily basis - full stop, no matter how good top 4 steps were).

Best luck.

Sachin Tripathi
    Ranch Hand
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Thank you every one
    Can anyone suggest me any link giving details of last date of applying to huge tech companies

Campbell Ritchie
    Marshal
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies
    Those details would probably be on the individual comapies' websites.

Henry Wong
    author
    • Mark post as helpful
    • send pies

And since it is already in the middle of summer, I assume the question is for next summer's internships?? Regardless, it may be early, but it can't hurt to start looking/investigating.

Henry

With a little knowledge, a cast iron skillet is non-stick and lasts a lifetime.
      Bookmark Topic Watch Topic