• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

What's a good technology for transferring data from XML to database?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

In the past, I've written a couple of JAXB based applications for extracting data from XML-based files and storing it in a database using JDBC calls. That approach was sensible for the projects I was working on because there was a lot of data analysis involved and the task was more than a simple data transcription.

Right now, though, I'm working on a situation where I've got XML schemas for a lot of different data products and would pretty much like to just copy the data out of the XML files and store them in a database (PostgreSQL). It occurs to me that there's got to be a framework that's good for this kind of thing. Basically, I'd like to avoid all the hand-coding and just use the schema definitions as a way of accomplishing the transfer. I haven't yet created database table definitions, but they would closely follow the structure of the XML schemas.

Would anyone care to recommend a framework for doing this kind of thing? If you have a technology you applied for this kind of purpose, what's your experience in using it been like? Favorable? Easy? Fraught with peril?

Thanks

Gary

P.S. It occurs to me that sooner or later, at least for some of these products, my application is going to have to do some real data processing. So a framework that provides strategies for adding more content-based processing would have definite appeal.

They worship nothing. They say it's because nothing lasts forever. Like this tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic