• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

relativize(): implementation dependent if both Paths have a root component?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
The documentation for Path states that:

Path relativize(Path other)
Constructs a relative path between this path and a given path.
Relativization is the inverse of resolution. This method attempts to construct a relative path that when resolved against this path, yields a path that locates the same file as the given path. For example, on UNIX, if this path is "/a/b" and the given path is "/a/b/c/d" then the resulting relative path would be "c/d". Where this path and the given path do not have a root component, then a relative path can be constructed. A relative path cannot be constructed if only one of the paths have a root component. Where both paths have a root component then it is implementation dependent if a relative path can be constructed. If this path and the given path are equal then an empty path is returned.

Does the statement in bold mean I can't do this?

Or does it mean it's implementation dependent whether I can do this?

What I'm really worried about is: is it implementation-dependent whether I can do this (I always assumed it wasn't)?

author & internet detective
Eclipse IDE VI Editor Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Good question. Note that there are two variants of "implementation dependent" at play here - one is the implementation of the JDK and one is what OS you are on.

The exam isn't going to try to trick you with edge cases here. You just need to remember to "simple" logic that the first two are undefined behavior and the third one (where they are both c:) works per the spec.

T Vergilio
Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Phew! Thanks for that, Jeanne. I was fine with the happy path, but then the API documentation really confused me. Good to know the exam is not going to go crazy on the edge cases!

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic