• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Design for the Mind: What's new since "Don't Make Me Think!"?

Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Having read Steve Krug's Don't Make Me Think! (2nd Ed) book many years ago, a title that's now 10 years old (although I have just noticed there is a "Revisited" 3rd Edition published a couple of years ago), what new research or ideas can I expect to find in Design for the Mind that wasn't known or widely understood back then?

Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Tim,

Great question. I actually had to write a justification around this to help convince the publisher my book would make a different contribution. First, Krug's book is considered a staple read for anyone working in design. So I know he's done a lot of things right. My book is not meant to be a replacement of his, rather a compliment. That said, let's talk some major differences:

Krug covers concepts that are similar to many I discuss, without going into the deeper understanding of why. My book will also teach you why, from a psychology/research focus, certain design elements are effective and when. I think much of what is covered by Krug can be found in chapter 3 of my book which discusses in-depth heuristics or mental shortcuts people use.

Design for the Mind discusses the building blocks of behavior. For example, chapter two will show readers what leads to behavior (e.g. use of your product) and how you can move people from non-users to users. Don't make me think looks at it from the perspective of someone has landed on your site, what is the next thing they will do? I will show you how to even get people to your site/product to make that decision. I spend chapter two discussing a principle meant to develop your potential and current users into long-term loyal users.

Design for the Mind focuses heavily on how to effectively communicate. I dedicated chapter 7 to discussing framing communication. Communication being much more than words, but visual communication as well. I provide insight into how to effectively convey your message to users, in a way that will motivate their behavior.

I've also included a number of activities for readers to engage in if they want to practice the skills they are learning. Chapter 9 is a comprehensive case study/review of how all the principles can work together. Krug's book doesn't contain these elements.

Both Krug and I have one common mantra - something along the lines of "Know your User." We both advocate research with real users and taking action on the insight user research can provide.

Overall, I think there are large differences between the two books. I hope this helps provide some insight.

Victor

Tim Cooke
Sheriff
IntelliJ IDE Python Java Linux
  • Likes 1
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks Victor, it sounds really interesting.

As a Book Promotion team member I am not eligible to win, so I might just have to put my hand in my pocket for this one. I think I would enjoy it very much.

Cheers, Tim

Victor Yocco
Author
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I'd be honored. Please let me know if you'd like a discount code and I'll pass one along to you.

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic