• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Struts and WSAD

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Does anyone know where I can find information about using the Apache Struts framework with the WebSphere Studio Application Developer?
Thanks,
Randy Thomasson

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi Randy,
Have you found it out? Any help is appreciated.
Mark

Saloon Keeper
Android Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Redhat Java Linux
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Heck, I'm still waiting in vain for an answer on what it takes to RUN a Struts app under WAS 4!

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
What info you need? We are currently using Struts on WAS 3.5.4 with Fixpack ---(6, I think).

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
According to the docs at jakarta.apache.org, you had to make changes to the Struts source code to run under WAS 3.5. I was just trying to find out if that still applied under WAS 4 or if they can now use the "out-of-the-box" struts.jar file.

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
WAS 4.0.x uses Struts in it's Web Console. I have implemented Struts in both WASAD and in WAS 4.0.1 without making any code changes to the Struts Framework. I did have to move some of the files around a bit in WASAD to get everything to work properly. As a hint though, I could never get the DTD's to be recognized using a fully qualified path (d:\classes\dtds\...). As well, if you put them in your web application, they will not be found because they are needed prior to the web app being initialized. My workaround for this was to just leave the URL in the .tld's as they are, for example [< !DOCTYPE taglib PUBLIC "-//Sun Microsystems, Inc.//DTD JSP Tag Library 1.1//EN" "http://java.sun.com/j2ee/dtds/web-jsptaglibrary_1_1.dtd">]
Hope this helps

Greenhorn
Eclipse IDE Tomcat Server Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
WSAD (I am using 4.0.3) runs Struts without a fuss. Import the Struts example WAR into a new web project and it should run without a problem.

Tim Holloway
Saloon Keeper
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Thanks. That narrows down my problem. Now if I could just get the deployer to give me a more meaningful message than "I hate your EAR file"...

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Hi,
I can successfully run the struts 1.0.2 example.war in WASD 4.0.2 test environment, but I can't deploy it to Websphere AEs 4.0.3. Here is how I did:
First I try to export the struts example to a war file in WASD, then in AEs' admin console, I click the install button, and select the war, and put application name, context root, then install, but not success. The only error message I got is "this web module cannot be run". no any details.
What's wrong? ( I can deploy the war file in tomcat like light fast.)
David

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I am trying to run my webapp which is struts based on version 4.03. I got the struts-example to work fine but I keep getting an error 5533d6cc WebGroup X Servlet Error-[action]: Failed to load servlet: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
What is the deal? My setup is EXACTLY like for the struts example app. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I started working in WSAD 5.0....it seem to be a dream tool for developers......i hope Struts will work in this new version.....does any one aware of how to go about with struts in WSAD 5.0 from the sratch???

Greenhorn
jQuery Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
https://www6.software.ibm.com/developerworks/education/x-iextreme19/?

Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by sssmokin:
I am trying to run my webapp which is struts based on version 4.03. I got the struts-example to work fine but I keep getting an error 5533d6cc WebGroup X Servlet Error-[action]: Failed to load servlet: java.lang.ClassCastException: org.apache.struts.action.ActionServlet
What is the deal? My setup is EXACTLY like for the struts example app. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Dave

rooford Johnson
Greenhorn
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by sssmokin:
Thanks,
Dave

I had this problem. Running WSAD 4.04 and Struts. The problem in my case was a third party jar file in WEB-INF/lib which had javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
defined in it. I extracted the jar and removed all the classes and packages from javax down. This fixed the problem. It also defined some XML parser classes which also caused a similar problem. In short remove everything from WEB-INF/lib other struts.jar and start the server, then if all works start adding the jar files required one by one until you find the culprite.

Don't get me started about those stupid light bulbs.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic