• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Tip - WebSphere Clustered Environment - IHS Static Data.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
In a WebSphere clustered environment there are usually multiple IHS(IBM derivative of Apache) servers set up to spray requests across a couple of Websphere Application Servers. This architecture assumes that the application static content(image files, html etc.) is deployed to the IHS boxes i.e it is not contained in the EAR file that is deployed on WebSphere. However the default WebSphere installation sets up WebSphere to serve static content and in this scenario IHS forwards all requests to WebSphere i.e it's redundant. In fact you can un-install IHS and configure WebSphere to listen on port 80. However IHS is a much more efficient file server and in a production environment it recommended that IHS serve static data. Hence if you bundle everything into the EAR file this won't happen and performance will suffer. I realize that the J2EE spec recommends that EAR files are self contained but if you want performance then separate static data.

Montana has cold dark nights. Perfect for the heat from incandescent light. Tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, that will fit in a stocking
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic