• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Websphere webserver

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
Hi All,
Thanks a lot in advance.
We are using Websphere as the application server.
As per my knowledge every application server should be contained with some websphere.
can any one please tell me what will be the default one to WAS?
Regards,
Sree

author and cow tipper
Hibernate Spring Tomcat Server
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator
WebSphere is the application server. As an application server, it has an open port on which it listens to http requests. Clients can invoke resources through this port directly, but it's not a good architecture.

Instead, you have a web server sit in front of the application server. This listens on port 80, and forwards requests for Servlet ans JSPs through to the websphere applications server. The web server can be pretty much any of the major web server vendors, although apache is free, and the IBM Http Server (IHS), which is based on apache, is typically recommended by IBM.

Is that what you're getting at? Check out my WebSphere website www.pulpjava.com for some free tutorials and discussions on typical websphere architecture, and the web server plugin that WebSphere installs in client facing web servers.

Kind regards,

-Cameron McKenzie

Consider Paul's rocket mass heater.
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic