aspose file tools*
The moose likes Meaningless Drivel and the fly likes Understanding an Atheist POV Big Moose Saloon
  Search | Java FAQ | Recent Topics | Flagged Topics | Hot Topics | Zero Replies
Register / Login
JavaRanch » Java Forums » Other » Meaningless Drivel
Bookmark "Understanding an Atheist POV" Watch "Understanding an Atheist POV" New topic
Author

Understanding an Atheist POV

Amitabh Sharma
Ranch Hand

MM you are right. As you can see in my edited post I am unsure about my own beliefs.
As far as lying to my child on the question of faith is concerned, I see nothing wrong with that. Honesty is overrated. I will do the sin of lying because I think no one is watching
R K Singh
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:

Did you tell your children that there was a Santa Claus?

I read long back that a teacher had to say sorry to parents as she told in class that there was no "Santa Clause".
But it cant be generalised world wide.
I think best apporoach will be to let son/daughter decide what is good for him/her.
Regarding Santa Clause, I think when a child grows up, he come to know anyway that there is no Santa Clause.
Amitabh Sharma
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Ravish Kumar:

I think best apporoach will be to let son/daughter decide what is good for him/her.

I will do that when the child is old enough to really understand the difference. But before he reaches that age he believes in what I tell him
Michael Morris
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Thomas Paul:

Did you tell your children that there was a Santa Claus?

Never directly, but I certainly played along. There is enough of the surronding culture that relays that implication to children. Whenever they asked me "is there a Santa Claus" (or Easter Bunny or whatever), I just threw the ball back in their court and said "What do you believe". I wasn't implying that an Atheist should uncategorically tell their child that there is no God, just to let them form their own opinion and explain to them their own conclusions when asked. I have tried to form my kids to be independent thinkers. They have been raised Catholic and they know my beliefs, but I have always told them, if it doesn't make sense to you, you shouldn't believe it.

Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction. - Ernst F. Schumacher
Kevin Thompson
Ranch Hand

Well I am a life-long atheist.
My attutude has always been "to each his own". If other people want to believe in the Easter Bunny, or Jesus, or Santa Claus it makes no difference to me.
Kevin
Jim Yingst
Wanderer
Sheriff

I don't understand. What's this you guys are trying to imply about Santa Claus not being real? You're scaring me now...

"I'm not back." - Bill Harding, Twister
John Smith
Ranch Hand

Amitabh Sharma: Honesty is overrated. I will do the sin of lying because I think no one is watching
Hmm, I've always believed the opposite, -- that honesty is underrated.
Paul Stevens
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Jim Yingst:
I don't understand. What's this you guys are trying to imply about Santa Claus not being real? You're scaring me now...

Next they will say no tooth fairy either.
Amitabh Sharma
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Eugene Kononov:
Amitabh Sharma: Honesty is overrated. I will do the sin of lying because I think no one is watching
Hmm, I've always believed the opposite, -- that honesty is underrated.

Those who are very honest are respected after they die. Those who are flexible with truth live more comfortable lives. Take your pick.
And I am not advocating dishonesty at all. I am advocating being a little flexible with the absolute truth.
For instance would you tell your present boss that you are looking for a job somewhere else even if you were doing so?
Michael Ernest
High Plains Drifter
Sheriff

Candor is no necessary extension of truth. By the same token, truth and tact are not mutually exclusive.

Make visible what, without you, might perhaps never have been seen.
- Robert Bresson
Amitabh Sharma
Ranch Hand

Originally posted by Michael Ernest:
Candor is no necessary extension of truth. By the same token, truth and tact are not mutually exclusive.

Well said and very true.

I agree. Here's the link: http://aspose.com/file-tools

subject: Understanding an Atheist POV