• Post Reply Bookmark Topic Watch Topic
programming forums Java Mobile Certification Databases Caching Books Engineering Micro Controllers OS Languages Paradigms IDEs Build Tools Frameworks Application Servers Open Source This Site Careers Other Pie Elite all forums
this forum made possible by our volunteer staff, including ...
Marshals:
  • Campbell Ritchie
  • Jeanne Boyarsky
  • Ron McLeod
  • Paul Clapham
  • Liutauras Vilda
Sheriffs:
  • paul wheaton
  • Rob Spoor
  • Devaka Cooray
Saloon Keepers:
  • Stephan van Hulst
  • Tim Holloway
  • Carey Brown
  • Frits Walraven
  • Tim Moores
Bartenders:
  • Mikalai Zaikin

Is there propaganda in the USA?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
    Number of slices to send:
    Optional 'thank-you' note:
  • Report post to moderator

Originally posted by R K Singh:

I will really appreciate if someone tell me what is hidden , what is not being told to us.

Hidden message: America sucks and is stupid, rest of the world great, esp. India :-)
true message: online mags will get more eyeballs if the content makes the reader happy (even if it is not completely true, i.e., based on facts)...Singh, when you first read the article, did it give you a sense of superiority... a bit of we are better then those stupid americans... if so the online Indian mag has done it's job... too bad you decided to do some critical thinking..
I like the ending of the article:
"In the fullness of time, that too will change" -- out of the mouths of babes...
[ September 08, 2003: Message edited by: Eleison Zeitgeist ]

mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Its not online my dear, I read it in paper back addition[cover page].

So then I guess the message is don't believe everything you read no matter where you read it, honey.

Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Eleison Zeitgeist:
...Singh, when you first read the article, did it give you a sense of superiority...

hmm.. actually I believed it because The Times Of India claimed to be largest circulated "English" Daily in world, though in India english, I dont think, more than 25-30% can read but it is.
I beleived that because of population of India, number of languages spoken in India. 1 or 2 or 3 news channel cant cover the whole India because of different languages.
Superiority, yes a little bit .. but not about anyone's being stupid but being more stupid than them
AW still I think that something is missing somewhere.
I cant get away with message that "dont believe everything you read" because then nothing will be true.
AW I will try to find out myself.
Thanks for info and input.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
TP, I will believe in what I read...
Now you think in what will you believe
http://www.usembassy.de/consular/leipzig/media03.htm :
Since the founding of CNN in 1981, however, cable news channels have grown to be a much more important part of the American news media. FOX News, CNN, and MSNBC are the main cable news channels in the US. On any of these channels, it is "all news, all the time." While both Fox and MSNBC were founded only in 1996, Fox news now leads in the number of viewers.

http://media.guardian.co.uk/iraqandthemedia/story/0,12823,938596,00.html
The US' three main 24-hour news networks, Fox News, CNN and MSNBC, all recorded huge audience increases after the war began in late March.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainment/october96/news_10-8.html
This whole page only talks about three news channels.
If you want more ...
I think catch is "24 hour" OR the number viewers of these three channels.
But why no one was ready to accept that, even when I said catch is "24 hr" ??
AW your wish...
Sorry TP, I will keep believing in what I read in my news sources.

Thomas Paul
mister krabs
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
Notice what it said, "three main 24 hour news channels. In other words, these are the news channels that have the largest presence. But we cable/sattelite users get lots more than just those. I get BBC among others. CNBC was another one mentioned.
I guess the question is, how many is enough? You can't watch 25 different news channels unless you have no life and are independently wealthy. Does it matter what's on when you are at work or asleep?

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
We also have 2 local 24 hour news channels on cable here (Kokomo Indiana). Other places have their own as well.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies
I think catch is "24 hour" OR the number of viewers of these three channels. [same as pointed by TP, "main"]
Having more channels gives you option to listen diffrent views.
And its good that we are listening almost equal numbers or might be US more different views on same topic.
Now I dont know what 2 local 24 hr channel will say about Sharon's India visit ?? But on CNN/Fox/MSNBC/BBC/SKY/...., I will surely get two different views on his visit, from outside India.

Sheriff
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

I think catch is "24 hour" OR the number of viewers of these three channels. [same as pointed by TP, "main"]

Now it's 24-hour stations? :roll: Would that be changing the parameters to try to fit your argument?

Originally posted by Ravish Kumar:
if my knowledge is correct then in US, people are able to 2-4 news services only .. [dont ask me names, I read this in The Week magazine]
And in India I have 9 different indian information resources + fox + sky + BBC + CNN + TV5 + PTV world + etc and I do watch all of them [excluding etc ].

Just for clarification, many of the news networks provide multiple channels of news (e.g. CNN has: CNN, Headline News, CNNfN, CNN International). Many sources of televised news are not 24 hours (as if that means something) and intersperse their news programming with other programming.

Ranch Hand
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Now I dont know what 2 local 24 hr channel will say about Sharon's India visit ?? But on CNN/Fox/MSNBC/BBC/SKY/...., I will surely get two different views on his visit, from outside India.

Good point. I surfed majority of newspapers and channels regarding this event.No Indian channel is talking about Israel selling of $2 billion arms to India!!All they say is "enhanced bilateral cooperation"!!!Herb Keinon of Tel Aviv university is quite free to admit that "A healthy military industry is in turn necessary for Israel to retain its technological and qualitative military edge. These deals provide the financial oxygen necessary for the military industry to keep Israel's army ahead it is a strategic imperative"

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by Jason Menard:
Just for clarification.

My impression was that US has only 2-3 news resources till I read back the article, like not very long back till 80s and early 90s India had only one video news resource that is Govt channel(Doordarshan).
But now India has more than 6 main[Hinglish & English] 24 hr news channels and Indian get more different views which was not possible till mid 90s on TV. [Magazine & newspapers were there, but their accesibility was limited and most of the time people subscribe only one newspaper/magazine.]
And yes 24 hr news channel makes difference as they repeat same news so many times that even if one doesnt listen, while surfing only you can make out what anchor(news channel) wants to convey.

R K Singh
Ranch Hand
Spring Java
  • Mark post as helpful
  • send pies

Originally posted by <Capablanca Kepler>:
Indian channel is talking about Israel selling of $2 billion arms to India!!

Its pretty old news, it was in news when US approved the deal 1-2 months back. And this arms deal was stuck because of US after nuclear test(if my memory serves me right.)
And yes, 2 hr back I was reading that some Islamic group in britain is preparing some function to announce those terrorist(9/11) martyr.
I dont know when US will read this news as Britain is their partner.
[ September 09, 2003: Message edited by: R K Singh ]

When I was younger I felt like a man trapped inside a woman’s body. Then I was born. My twin is a tiny ad:
a bit of art, as a gift, the permaculture playing cards
https://gardener-gift.com
    Bookmark Topic Watch Topic